anyone ever see this Kenwood?

RGS0907

Aug 21, 2003
New Jersey
I happened onto this Kenwood. It is made to appear old fashioned; two knobs. no screensavers or colored graphics & the CD slot is behind the face plate. It even has inputs for iPod & other things like satellite. Still need to cut the bezel but it may look more retro in the dash.

What do y'all think?

Click on it to enlarge the picture
KENEZ500_1.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

That looks pretty good but I don't particularly like the red button lights and blue display (prefer green since it matches the stock dash lights better).

I will say that I think the players where you have to fold down the face to put a CD in are a pain in the butt. I'd much rather be able to just pop the CD in and be done with it rather than fiddling with buttons & the face to get a CD in.

-Chelle

If you have an open cd insertion area like that then it's easier for dust to eventually get inside the head unit. With the fold down ones, no dust gets in there. All you have to do is press a little button to let it fold down and push it back up. Not to hard. Or you can get one like I have that is motorized :)

19stang66 said:
thats the EZ500 or something right? Crutchfield has them really expensive but I know you can find them a ton cheaper elsewhere like www.sonicelectronix.com or www.onlinecarstereo.com. I didnt like it when i first saw it some time ago, but now that i see it again and picture it in a Stang, it would like nice.

I forgot to add the model. Yeah it's an ez500. I've seen the prices all over the place, you can probably get it for about $170

t_chelle16 said:
That looks pretty good but I don't particularly like the red button lights and blue display (prefer green since it matches the stock dash lights better).

I will say that I think the players where you have to fold down the face to put a CD in are a pain in the butt. I'd much rather be able to just pop the CD in and be done with it rather than fiddling with buttons & the face to get a CD in.

-Chelle

I don't like the red button lights either, but I like hiding the CD player. Besides you can put hundreds of MP3's on a single CD & just leave it in there.

RGS0907 said:
I happened onto this Kenwood. It is made to appear old fashioned; two knobs. no screensavers or colored graphics & the CD slot is behind the face plate. It even has inputs for iPod & other things like satellite. Still need to cut the bezel but it may look more retro in the dash.

What do y'all think?

Click on it to enlarge the picture
KENEZ500_1.jpg

thts just a basic design now,theres about 4 other brands that look the same(Pioneer,Jenson,Sony),but the Kenwood has some nicew features.

19stang66 said:
If you have an open cd insertion area like that then it's easier for dust to eventually get inside the head unit. With the fold down ones, no dust gets in there. All you have to do is press a little button to let it fold down and push it back up. Not to hard. Or you can get one like I have that is motorized :)
I guess it's just personal preference. My previous stereo had the fold down face and I really didn't like it. That's one of the things that I specifically didn't want when I was shoping for a new stereo.

-Chelle

t_chelle16 said:
That looks pretty good but I don't particularly like the red button lights and blue display (prefer green since it matches the stock dash lights better)...

The Kenwood CD I have has the ability to switch between green and orange backlighting, maybe this one has something like that too:shrug: It doesn't look too bad though.

I'm getting to the stage where I'm thinking about the sound for my car. I took a brief look at one place the other day, geez it's hard to find anything that even looks half decent these days.

ozstang65 said:
The Kenwood CD I have has the ability to switch between green and orange backlighting, maybe this one has something like that too:shrug: It doesn't look too bad though.

I'm getting to the stage where I'm thinking about the sound for my car. I took a brief look at one place the other day, geez it's hard to find anything that even looks half decent these days.

The best would be if someone would build a good AM/FM that takes a thumbdrive in a USB slot on the face. You could then forget about the CD plaers that are just too wide & just use MP3s.

RGS0907 said:
The best would be if someone would build a good AM/FM that takes a thumbdrive in a USB slot on the face. You could then forget about the CD plaers that are just too wide & just use MP3s.
Yah or just an SD card. now that would be cool.

I think that the Pioneer DEH P77MP looks more retro and fits even better in a classic car! But it costs alot more, here in sweden its about $500-600 (alot cheaper in the states I can imagine) but its a really good headunit.

product_7308.jpg

dehp77mp.jpg

Looks great!

wow, i like the pioneer :nice: i can't seem to find it, all i found was the deh7700mp and deh770mp

edit: searched for it on google and all the sites have the prices as british pounds. so im guessing its not sold in the US. Ebay doesnt even have any.

Jester67 said:
Yah or just an SD card. now that would be cool.
ask and you shall recieve
Recognizing that USB thumbdrives have become nearly universal, JVC added USB ports to the faceplates of a number of its 2006 line of car stereo head units. One example on display at CES is the KD-SH1000, a single-DIN CD receiver with a USB port in the right side of the interface, letting you easily plug in a drive full of music. The unit will play MP3- and WMA-format files off of the drive. The KD-SH1000 also accepts SD cards, which have the advantage of not protruding from their slots, unlike a USB drive. It accepts burned CD-R/RWs and displays graphics with its dot-matrix fluorescent screen.
JVC_KD-SH1000-1136600172826-200_150.JPG