Anyone here hate their exhaust sound?

I got a 02 GT 5speed with Flowmaster American Thunder Catback with stock H. I liked the sound at first, but now I want a little more. I was thinking of replacing the Super 40's (that came with the kit) with Original 2 chamber 40 series Flows. And then putting a catted H or O/R prochamber on with 4in tips.

• Sponsors (?)

I rode in my buddies 01 Gt with O/R H and welded flows and I thought it sounded awesome inside. It has that classic muscle car sound but outside its too loud for my taste. I was wandering how much difference there is in sound between a stock H and a 2.5in mandrel bend catted H. Will I be able to tell a difference or not? If not, I might just try a Prochamber with the AT catback.

I have the Flowmaster American Thunder Cat-back on my car with a stock H-pipe.

It sounds incredible. Despite what everyone ways, it doesn't drone that much. With the windows up and the radio at normal volumn, you can't hear it from the inside. I find myself cracking the window on 30 degree days just to hear my exhaust.

From the outside it's nice and loud. Great tone. I wet myself when i let a friend drive my car. I love it.

Q's Stang said:
well i was going to get a bassani xhaust from pipes to cat back but unfortunately a hit and run put me back a few weeks...hopefully though in two weeks ill have that bassani sounding so soooo nice...any bassani owners have any input on their sound before i drop a pretty penny getting them?!

I love my Bassani cat back. Sounds great with the stock H pipe. Deep sound at idle with an amazing "race car" sound at wide open throttle. I have set off some car alarms with this combo. I will get the X pipe soon. I have only heard X pipe sound clips on the internet and they all sound great. By the way, I went with the BX aluminized kit.

my exhaust is totally stock!! I havent checked yet, but I dont think I have regular mufflers, cause they sound pretty nice.

you can be silent when you want to, and fourth gear pulls on the freeway are loud enough for eveyone around you to hear. . .

I know most people dont like stock, but to each his own!

Help me decide

Well I was going to start another thread, but this seems to be a good place to ask this question - OK, I'm ready to buy a midpipe for my 02, with the Flowmaster American Thunder Catback...I've narrowed it down to two choices:

1. SLP catted X
2. MRT catted H

Both are stainless, both are about the same price...the benefit of the SLP is the fact that it's modular, meaning the cats can be removed and replaced with race pipes and it also will work directly with SLP LTs.
But, of course, one of my main concerns is the sound - it's gotta sound right!
Any opinions?

BBK O/R x-pipe, 2chamber flowmaster catback.

I hate this set-up.[/B] Sounds great around town (loud as hell) but on the highway, I gotta wear ear plugs (seriously). I dont know if it is so loud on the highway cause it is a convertable, or what. There is a resonance on the interior that sounds like I have a bunch of subwoofers in my backseat, at full volume. Too loud for my liking.

twogts4us said:
Well I was going to start another thread, but this seems to be a good place to ask this question - OK, I'm ready to buy a midpipe for my 02, with the Flowmaster American Thunder Catback...I've narrowed it down to two choices:

1. SLP catted X
2. MRT catted H

Both are stainless, both are about the same price...the benefit of the SLP is the fact that it's modular, meaning the cats can be removed and replaced with race pipes and it also will work directly with SLP LTs.
But, of course, one of my main concerns is the sound - it's gotta sound right!
Any opinions?
I would say h pipe with flows for deep sound. x-pipe will have a higher pitch sound. I think they both sound good :shrug: x pipe=more hp though

I have original flows 40 series with the pypes/mustangtuning x pipe and it sounds only so-so to me. Nowhere near as good as my Cobra with the h pipe and 40s. There is a real metallic note to the exhaust. At WOT it is fckuing sick as hell!!! But there comes a point of acceleration at about 1900-2300 where it has a sort-of pop sound...it's hard to explain, but i dont think anybody would like the particular note. It also has the drone, but I love it.

I have, in the mail, Spintech sportsman streets cat back and can't wait!!! It should be on by next Sat, and I am expecting really good sounds from it!! Ill post that review when the time comes....maybe a Video/sound clip.

I have the Mustangtuning off-road X and Flowmaster American Thunder catback. I love it and so does everybody else. I get compliments all the time, it doesn't sound raspy, and the X-pipe shifted the drone out of my cruising zone so it couldn't be better. :nice:

I have a full SLP system. LT Headers, Catted (and interchangeable offroad parts) X Pipe, and loudmouth aftercat. It's really loud. Doesnt drone. Has a shotgun/machinegun "brap brap brap" sound on throttle. I personally LOVE it. But other people think its too loud. I ditched my 2 chamber flowmasters for the SLP setup. What a good decision.

Defleshed said:
I have a full SLP system. LT Headers, Catted (and interchangeable offroad parts) X Pipe, and loudmouth aftercat. It's really loud. Doesnt drone. Has a shotgun/machinegun "brap brap brap" sound on throttle. I personally LOVE it. But other people think its too loud. I ditched my 2 chamber flowmasters for the SLP setup. What a good decision.

everyone should follow your advice and drop the flows.

I love the sound of my Magnapacks but anything is better than stock. I don't want mine to be overly loud but I love the way they wake up at acceleration. My girlfriend's GT has flows and hers is very loud. But I have cats and she doesn't.