Anyone up for some still captures from "Bullitt"?

68stang351

Founding Member
May 16, 2002
Savoy TX
I was watching the chase scene from my "Bullitt" DVD and got some screen captures I though maybe you guys might like to see.

cap008.jpg

cap009.jpg

cap010.jpg

cap011.jpg

cap012.jpg

cap013.jpg

cap015.jpg

cap014.jpg

Enjoy!

• Sponsors (?)

Oh yeah, look closely at the Mustang: those pieces of metal mounted cross-ways under the floor are (I think) camera mounts for shooting interior shots while the car is driving. This was a pretty common practice before the advent of blue screen/green screen stuff. I saw mounts exactly like that under the '32 from American Graffiti when I saw it in person a few years back.

I'm not sure if it's true or not, but I read that the story behind the covered up trim was that one of the two Mustangs was a GT and the other was not. So the guys incharge of making sure both cars looked identical covered the emblems on the GT car , some of the them appear to have been covered with tape, talk about quickie fixes!

I'd have to disagree on that one. Yes, it's a neat car, but IMHO, the greatest movie car of all time award goes to the primered '55 Chevy in Two Lane Blacktop. Terrible acting, no story, but that '55 was the Real Deal. It ran 10's in the quarter mile just as it sat in the movie. From what I've read, the driver of the Charger had to slow down to alllow the Bullitt Mustang to keep up in certain scenes. Sorry, just what I've read...

I'd have to disagree on that one. Yes, it's a neat car, but IMHO, the greatest movie car of all time award goes to the primered '55 Chevy in Two Lane Blacktop. Terrible acting, no story, but that '55 was the Real Deal. It ran 10's in the quarter mile just as it sat in the movie. From what I've read, the driver of the Charger had to slow down to alllow the Bullitt Mustang to keep up in certain scenes. Sorry, just what I've read...

Also, I've heard the 55' was the same one from American Graffiti.

the 55 was the same car in american graffiti, however i seriously doubt that it was a 10 second car, especially when even pro stock cars were barley hitting 10 second times back then. it may have been a low 13 or high 12 second car at best.

but i think the ultimate movie car of all time is not such an easy one to figure out. there were a lot of great ones, the 55, the bullitt car, the original eleanor and even the remake eleanor before everyone decided they had to build one just like it but for my money the best, and it's very, very close would be Milners coupe from american graffitti, it may not have been the prettiest or the fastest but i think it's the most iconic.

I saw the yellow '32 at the Grand National Roadster show a few years ago. It was at a booth where none other than Paul Lemat (aka John Milner) was signing posters, movie stills, etc. Candy Clark (Debbi the dumb blonde) was also there, and I think I was the only one there who got her autograph. The '32 was in fairly ragged shape, a 20-footer at best. Anyway, I know it's hard to beleive, but I've read repeatedly that Richard Ruth, the '55's builder took the car to the strip and it not only ran in the 10's but DEEP into the 10's. No matter, it was a badass car, but I prefer it's TLB look, in primer, with a tunnel ram and two fours. BTW, here's another nit of useless trivia: did you know the TLB '55 was originally painted a beautiful, deep blue? The director took one look at it and ordered the car shot in grey primer, because "real hot rods are primered!"

the 55 was the same car in american graffiti, however i seriously doubt that it was a 10 second car, especially when even pro stock cars were barley hitting 10 second times back then. it may have been a low 13 or high 12 second car at best.
After some thought, I'm going to give this some perspective. Dyno Don Nicholson ran an A/FX '65 Mustang fastback in '68 that was powered by a carbed, 427 SOHC. The thing ran on very skinny slicks and ran high '9's. By '71 street cars could run LOW 13's stone stock. That is to say on skinny, bias-ply tires, cast-iron manifolds, power steering and street gears. The guys who race in the F.A.S.T. series must run all the same stuff and recently one guy put a '69 L88 Corvette into the 10's. And you think it's unrealistic to say a '55 with a killer 454, fiberglass front wrap, doors and trunk lid, plexiglass windows, completely gutted with steep gears and slicks couldn't run in the 10's? I'd bet money it did.