AOD vs. C4

Matts89LX5.0

Founding Member
Nov 1, 2002
Long Island, NY
What are the pros and cons for a C4 vs. an AOD. I know that an AOD has over drive and the C4 does not. I know a 5 spd car is faster than an auto stock for stock but would a C4 be as good as a mod as converting a car to a 5 spd from a stock AOD??? Thanks in advance

Matt

• Sponsors (?)

Matts89LX5.0 said:
I know a 5 spd car is faster than an auto stock for stock but would a C4 be as good as a mod as converting a car to a 5 spd from a stock AOD???

Matt

The C-4 is a great racing tranny. They are basically just as good as having a t-5; light weight, and far less parasitic HP loss than an AOD, plus the quick shifts only an automatic can provide. The only real disadvantage is the distance in gearing between 2nd and 3rd; the t-5 splits that difference between 3rd and 4th gear. The C-4's are also much cheaper and durable than the AOD, and it's a tranny that a lot of people are comfortable building/rebuilding themselves.
The biggest knock on the C-4 (as you previously mentioned) is the lack of overdrive. A geared car without overdrive is no fun to cruise in at 75 mph. If this car will be purpose built for racing or cruising (not long distance freeway trips), I wouldn't hesitate to put in a built C-4 with a nice stall. You won't regret it.

you can't shift at any rpm as you want to with an auto unless you have a manual valve body and a special shifter. an auto is easier for a lot of chicks to drive so you don't have to worry about the car getting wrecked if you let a girl drive it.( if she stall in the middle of the road) it is better on the knees in traffic without a clutch pedal.

Like NKau stated, if the car is driven on the higway allot you might get tired of the C-4. That is the main reason I swapped to an AOD, for the overdrive. The AOD aftermarket has really came around now, and they can be built tough. I have an Art Carr AOD and love it. I have the manual/auto vavle body with the electric OD delete(run it as a manual). It's mainly a 3 speed (like a C4) until I get on the highway and push the OD button. You could build a decent AOD for about $700-$1200 depending on what internals you get. Have a couple of buddies who ordered from this place, Performance automotive & Transmission center ,and said they had good service. One of them even has a vert that runs in the 10's with his AOD. But if the car if mainly a weekend street car that see's allot of track and less highway I would go the c4 route....

thanks guys. I'm buying an AOD notch pretty soon but I have a C4 in my garage that needs a rebuild but has a shift kit already and I already havea torque convertor as well. I won't be doing over 60 mph anymore because of ticket problems. Only wondering if I should build up this AOD with valve body, shift kit etc. or just rebuild the C4 and throw it in. Thanks for all the replies

Yep as stated above, hw driving will be hell with a C4. My 5.0 is an AOD now, but it will be converted to a 5 speed within a couple months. I personally prefer a 5 speed, but if you want to stick with an auto and you want to do a lot of driving, you will pretty much have to go with an AOD instead of a C4.

I'm more concerned with how the AOD robs horsepower through out the power band but it would be cheaper for me to rebuild the C4 rather than do a T5 swap. I was just wondering which has more benefits in the power band range and could be built up easier and cheaper??

Matt

What is the general application of the car?

Bracket Drag racing and city driving then the C-4. A C-4 and low gears like 4.10s will not be a pleasant highway car at all.

General all around driving including highway and bracket drag racing then a WELL built AOD would be a better choice, especially w/4.10 gears. OD is great to have in daily driver.

I won't drag a t-5 for bracket racing as personally, I'm not good enough at perfect shifting, I prefer auto's for bracketing. They are the most fun for sure, and put the power down in a great way. Nothing like slammin through the gears in a strong manual car. Seen lots go south under duress though.

Think about an AODE/4R70W and the Baumann or Hughes controller. Nothing come close in the automatic world. Have your cake and eat it too. Drawback, expensive outlay, well worth every cent IMO.

Yeah, the C-4 take a bit less HP to turn than the AOD...

C-4 and 3.73 will be a bit unpleasant on longer highway drives, but doable if you're hardcore. I could have whatever I want since I'm in the trans biz, and I am standoffish on the C-4 for a comfy street car. Strip car, I'd use it immediately. I don't feel the tradoff in parasitic HP loss is worth the inconvenience of losing 4th gear.

AOD and 4.10, and you'd be styling... AODE/4R70W and you'd be kicking major arse in the automatic world.

so i'm looking at going stock gears and stock AOD to either a built up AOD with maybe 3.73s or 4.10 or having my C4 rebuilt and getting the 3.55 rear I have access to for cheap. I would be going 3.55 because of a possible power adder in the future if I choose to do so.

Like these guys have said; the C4 will eat up less HP, AOD has over drive which is necessary for highway driving, might I add the C4 is lighter and will take up less room under your car, which is a relief if you plan on using long tube headers..not to mention it'll be easier to access the starter. So it really comes down to what you'll be doing with the car. I'm switching to a C4 in a few weeks, but I also don't do much highway driving & I'll be getting a beater car soon..so you gotta make that call :nice:

I won't be doing much highway driving...but when I do I won't be driving over 60mph very much. I'm thinking about going with rebuilding the C4. How much is it to rebuild a C4?? Keep in mind it already has a shift kit in it if that makes a difference. Also which convertor should i go with if I evetually want to go with a power adder and 3.55 gears?

I have an AOD and 3.55's in my car, but it is a blown 331.. I had the 55's in there when it was still a NA 5-speed and haven't changed them, or at least not yet. But before the blower went on the 55's and the AOD wasn't too bad, but it definatley needed more gearing NA. If I didn't add the blower I would of went 4.10's with the AOD. Even with the 55's before the blower, my car went 12.78 at 3450#'s on Nitto's..