AOD vs. C4

• Sponsors (?)

Personally I would go the AOD route, but if you can live without overdrive go with the C4. The 55's will be an OK gear with the C4, but I think you will want more gearing, unless you plan on a power adder. I am debating about swapping to them if I can find a rear cheap enough or find someone to trade for mine with the 55's...

If you are driving this thing daily, you want to go AOD. Build it up and be done with it. Yes, it will be more expensive, but you won't regret it later. That having been said, I far prefer the T5 to the AOD. I swapped my AOD for a T5 and don't regret it a bit. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I got tired of yelling, "SHIFT, DAMMIT, SHIFT!". Yes, that can be overcome with manual valve bodies and the like, but there's nothing like popping the clutch and slammin' gears (got a Tri-Ax too :D). You have to decide if you like the shift mentality or the slushbox mentality. Bracket racing begs for a C4/AOD, but daily driving, unless you're constantly in bumper to bumper traffic, is all about shifting if you ask me.

C4 all the way.I got 430 gears in mine but it does not see the street to often.I think its around 3 grand at 60??You should be ok with a 373 but like other said 60 MPH is tops on the highway....If you need overdrive id put in a T5 or tremec depending on your HP. :lol:

See, what I dont understand is you say that highway driving isn't really even feasable with the c4, yet I've seen plenty of people trapping well over 100mph with c4's. Did they just hit the traps at like 7k rpm or something? What rpm would I be at, 70mph with stock gears? Thanks

Logan

Depends on your gear ratios. Should be somewhere around 3k, but you can enter your information in here to find out exactly:

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/Detailed/608.shtml

The point isn't so much that your engine can't handle those RPMs, it's more that the drone of those RPMs while riding long distances will get old. There are certainly the arguments that your gas mileage will go down and your wear and tear will go up, but more of the argument is that the noise will wear on you.

Here are the gears in bot trannys -
4th 3rd 2nd 1st R
C-4 NA 2.46 1.46 1.00 NA
AOD 2.40 1.47 1.00 0.67 NA
Here's the link to them - http://www.jeeptech.com/convtrans/
So with a gear like 3.55's and a C4 it should be fine... Or an AOD and 3.73's.... Personally, I prefer the C4, unfortunatly I dont have one in this car, but if I can find one that's the route I'd go. I had one in my T-Bird and loved it.....

maddog11 said:
Here are the gears in bot trannys -
4th 3rd 2nd 1st R
C-4 NA 2.46 1.46 1.00 NA
AOD 2.40 1.47 1.00 0.67 NA
Here's the link to them - http://www.jeeptech.com/convtrans/
So with a gear like 3.55's and a C4 it should be fine... Or an AOD and 3.73's.... Personally, I prefer the C4, unfortunatly I dont have one in this car, but if I can find one that's the route I'd go. I had one in my T-Bird and loved it.....

That info is right, but a little confusing... :)
C4

1st - 2.46:1

2nd - 1.46:1

3rd - 1.00:1

4th - NA

AOD

1st - 2.40:1

2nd - 1.47:1

3rd - 1.00:1

OD - 0.67:1

C4 all the way :nice: