are all 8.8 rears the same? looking to buy another

dderek

Feb 29, 2004
once my car is running ill be needing stronger axles and rear.
guy has one for sale with aftermarket axles, brakes, gears etc etc.

but are all 8.8s the same length to fit in my '90 fox?

is there something i should check when i look at it?

• Sponsors (?)

The 86-98 model Mustang 8.8 rears are the same dimensions, only the 94-98 cars have 3/4" longer axles and corresponding disc brakes (for the optional ABS). The 87-88 Turbocoupe rear(4 lug) and the 86-92? Mark VII rear housings are also the same dimensions, but again with longer axles, 3/4" and 1.25" respectively. Any of these housnings will be a direct exchange in a Fox Mustang, the only considerations being the axle length and # of lugs.

The 99-04 Mustang housings are about 1.5" wider, making them about 3" wider overall with the longer axles.

If you got a 94-98 with rear disc and the longer axles, TC rear or Mark VII, it can work on your car, but you would need to be careful on your wheels due to the longer axles.

guy said it was out of a '94
wasnt his car so he doesnt know all exact about it.

its 5 lug and disc brakes though
i changed to 5 lug up front.. havent bought rims for the rear yet
i have 3.5" draglites up front, if i can pick this rear end up cheap and just get different offset rims or change the axles or something and it comes out cheaper it will be a good deal for me.

im wondering if i need a new master cylinder for the disc brakes?

now that i think about it i wanted to buy a set of 17-18" rims also for cruising.. hard to find both draglites and bullets or something in an odd ofsett

what do you guys think i should do

well a dude is willing to sell a built rear end.. '94 with good axles, not sure wich spline, or gears. with welded tubes. not sure about clip or not.. disc brakes and control arms with it. not sure which brand control arms i forget.. but for $750.

im sure parts + labor to do all that instead of swap a rear would be alot more

but will i need a new master cylinder for disc brakes? and do i have to run new lines or no?

Yes you would need a new MC for the brakes and an adj PV. You might need to do something with the brake lines, I'm not 100% sure how different the SN95 center line is from the Fox one. I just used my Fox lines on the rear and got adapters for the caliper lines. If everything is a name brand, like Moser, 31 spline, c clip elim, with name brand control arms, it sounds like a decent deal. If not, and he can't prove it, I'd assume they are "stock" and price it accordingly. LOL! Good luck on it.

For $750...wouldn't you want to know what you are getting?? :shrug:

yeah he'll look for me and ill check it out before i buy it.. but its a friend of a friend so im not worried about being bull****'ed here you know?

its good stuff that was in a car making more power than i will anyway, so itll hold up

plus im more worried about the disc brakes and axle length right now than the gear ratio and spline etc
main worry is how some huge drag radials on draglites will fit with the extra length on the axles

They might not fit, but you could always modify the rear with 5-lug Fox-lenght axles and North Cobra brackets.

Then sell off the SN95 31 spline axles and stock brake brackets.

You keep the disks, but retain stock fox track

yeah i was thinkin about that
i just have to sit down and do all the math of modying my own rear end vs swapping to that one and swapping the axles and having left over parts... and if i want to do the hassle for having disc brakes or not

See 87-93 Mustang 5.0 Brake upgrade pages. Improve your 60-0 times! for the best and cheapest brake upgrades and 5 lug swaps. The site doesn't sell anything but some fittings, but the tech notes are great. It tells you what junkyard or remanufactured parts to use to upgrade your brakes. It has almost everything you could want to know about Mustang brakes on it.