Are Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors worth it?

Hello everyone, I need opinions please.

I have a 1999 SVT Cobra Mustang.

I'm going to have to replace my brakes in a couple of months or so.

I am bone stock right with flows.

I plan on putting 4.10 gears in some day in the future.

Will I need the Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors? Or should I save money and stick with the stock 13" brakes?

Thanks a bunch,
Mike Morales

• Sponsors (?)

Im not that sure about this but it keeps the brakes from warping from getting too hot, if you race alot then you use your brakes alot to get back down to speed. go like 50 mph and brake down to zero and feel your brakes :D

If you want more than adequate brakes your best bet is the Cobra brake kit, just gotta be willing to spend the money on it.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/10th-anniversary-cobra-brake-conversion.html

Something like that. Not as blingy as cross drilled and slotted, but MUCH better stopping power over the stockers thats for sure.
He has a Cobra, he doesn't need a conversion :nono:
Thanks for the input.

The drilled cross doesn't sound all that great.

I take it that the stock brakes will handle a lot?

Anymore opinions.....

Feel free anyone.
Just buy some Hawk HP+ and some steel braided brake lines, your car stock already stops from 60-0 in 122 feet

The Hawks will be louder braking but it is well worth the noise

IF you autocross then the heat dissipation to prevent brake fade is a good reason to get drilled/slotted. Other than that they don't last as long, crack and as others have stated eat break pads. Stick with the good ol' smooth as a babies behind rotors. Just spend a little extra to get a good set instead of the $19.99 AutoZone specials or you will be replacing them for warpage again in a year.

He has a Cobra, he doesn't need a conversion :nono:

Just buy some Hawk HP+ and some steel braided brake lines, your car stock already stops from 60-0 in 122 feet

The Hawks will be louder braking but it is well worth the noise

Thanks...

I will resurface my rotors. Get the Hawk HPS Brake Pads (1994-2004 Mustang Cobra, Bullitt, Mach 1 Front & Rear Pairs ) and get the J&M Mustang Stainless Steel Brake Hoses (99-04).

What will the J&M Mustang Stainless Steel Brake Hoses do for my Cobra?

Besides, quicker braking response, firmer pedal feel, and better brake modulation.

Im not that sure about this but it keeps the brakes from warping from getting too hot, if you race alot then you use your brakes alot to get back down to speed. go like 50 mph and brake down to zero and feel your brakes :D

Negative. That's all just clever marketing.

Cross-drilled rotors evolved in the early days of racing when pads used to expel gases when heated up. The gases would push the pad away from the rotor face and hurt braking. To give the gas somewhere to go, engineers came up with drilling holes in the rotors. They have nothing to do with cooling. The airflow flows across the hole, not through it. Duck into an alley between two buildings on a windy day and you'll see what i mean. There is vitually no airflow through them. Modern exotic race cars today still use pads that expel some gas, so that's why high end cars have them.

Blank-faced rotors are the best for performance. Reason being that without anything drilled out of them, the rotor has more mass. Mass is what absorbs heat, and the more mass, the more evenly distributed it is over the entire surface. Take away some mass, and what's left needs to absorb the heat that that missing portion would have absorbed.

Drilled and slotted rotors are just for impressing people when you are stopped at a traffic light on the average everyday street car.

Best rotors for the Mustang in my opinion, solid faced Brembo blank rotors

I think it was COramprat that said:

"I work at a major airport and I see huge planes every day. If drilled and slotted was so good, then why aren't airplanes using the technology?"

+1 on Mustang 5L5's comments. I'm an official in NASA Mid-Atlantic region (nasaracing.net) and most all of our Mustang roadrace drivers run solid disc -- other car makes essentially the same. The ones that don't, for the most part run slotted rotors.

As for me, I converted my 86 to 13" solid Cobra disc. With cooling ducts, more swept area to dissipate heat and the proper pads, it's more than enough.

I put drilled rotors on my 96 just because they look cool--but that's the only reason.

J