Are polyeurethane Engine Mounts ok for daily driving?

black143

Founding Member
Aug 28, 2001
Renton, WA
I have a slightly modified 88 GT. One of my engine mounts is broken so I thought it was time to swap them out. I eventually will have my car where I want it (over 300 rwhp) but who knows when. Until then, are polyeurethane engine mounts (specifically energy suspension's engine mounts) going to be too tight for a daily driver? Anyone have experience with these engine mounts and not like them? Thanks guys.

• Sponsors (?)

I put in both the motor mounts and thr trans mount. I hardly noticed much. A little more viration but nothing extream. Other people have reported a lot of additional vibration in the chasis, but I haven;t. I't perfectly still at idle. But when you open the TB from under the hood, the motor does not move like it used to, so thats good. I am very happy with them.

I'm more concerned of the vibration at WOT. Thats why i want to replace them. I replaced my tranny mounts with the same brand of mount and I'm pretty pleased. I have an aluminum driveshaft so I SHOULDN'T have that much vibration at WOT.

I have another question of topic. Yesterday I did a tune-up on my car. My old spark plugs were gapped at .054". The guy helping me owns an 88 Saleen and he said he's never heard of a gap that big before so we gapped the new ones at .044". My car seems to respond a little better now. I'm just concerned about any reprocusions. Other than detonation, nothing bad could happen at that gap right? thanks.

I have little vibration at WOT. And I have the alum DS too.
.054 is way to much for a stock ign. .044 is good. For the stock ign, just gap them to what the shop manual says or the owner’s manual if you have it. I have mine gapped at .054 or thereabouts but that's because I have a Jacobs ign. system and that's what their book says to gap them to.

Thanks for the help BarnStang. I used to have an MSD Ignition but I took it out as it was giving me issues. I'm going to recheck the gap this weekend to make sure they're all where they should be. I hope the engine mounts fixes my vibration issue at WOT.

BarnStang said:
I have little vibration at WOT. And I have the alum DS too.
.054 is way to much for a stock ign. .044 is good. For the stock ign, just gap them to what the shop manual says or the owner’s manual if you have it. I have mine gapped at .054 or thereabouts but that's because I have a Jacobs ign. system and that's what their book says to gap them to.

I know he has an '88, but .054" IS the stock recommended gap for 1991 and up.....

I read my Chiltons guide when doing my spark plugs and they tell you how to gap them, but they dont tell you how much to gap them to. I read that the Non-HO 5.0 was supposed to gap to .054 but I have the HO Obviously. Anyway, my car is running better now, so as long as .044 isnt going to hurt anything, then I'm good. Now I gotta start building my engine like I want to.

I have one simple question in regards to engine building:
Will putting an aftermarket upper and lower intake help (or hurt) anything with my basically stock motor (minus exhaust work)? Thanks guys.

cevtv-wow. That's a lot of gap for stock. Can't imagine it would cause a problem. If anything it would run worse with less gap on a stock system? Mine must be more than that then. I haven't done plugs in awhile. I know it's about .008 or .010 over stock for me. Thanks!

Depends on the intake. The stock heads are the choke point. I replaced the heads first, and put the stock induction components on top of them until I could afford to replace the stuff up top. If you can't swing the cost of the heads, then get what you can and you can bolt it up but you will probably not see dramatic improvments. And should not hurt anything. Once I got the intake, MAF and TB, my heads really wake up at 3k rpm. Faster than a speeding armadillo...

Found it. 10 min to find the web site, 10 min to sift through all the BS. so mine must be set at .060 than if thats what the instructions said. Not sure where they got the .015-.020 larger than stock numbers from if stock is .054.
Regap your factory recommended spark plugs to .060 (this is larger than stock by 0.015 to 0.020inches).

I dont have the MSD anymore so I'm back to a stock system. I was getting a lot of problems with a surging and rough idle (all around rough ride actually) so i gapped them at .044" and I'm not having any issues anymore. You want me to go up to .060"?

I really want to liven up my car and I have a little money to save, but not a lot right now. I'm still in school. If I could find a set of heads for $400-500 and could find someone to help me put them on, I'd go for it. I know you could match all your items, but that takes money to match them right away. So if I had to choose, I should choose heads over induction? Thanks guys.

black143 said:
I dont have the MSD anymore so I'm back to a stock system. I was getting a lot of problems with a surging and rough idle (all around rough ride actually) so i gapped them at .044" and I'm not having any issues anymore. You want me to go up to .060"?

No, no, no! :) I meant WITH the MSD, open the gap. Since you have a 1988, the stock gap is .044". You are fine. :nice: