Are tail light blackout covers illegal?

• Sponsors (?)

They are not illegal in the state of new mexico, what part of the land of entrapment are you from?
Posted via Mobile Device

I do not belive there are. I've lived all over the States ( although not in New Mexico I grant you ) and I've had blackout's on my tails for years. Gotten busted for window tint being too dark multiple times but never for the tails....

Here in NJ as long as you step on the brakes and it flashes red, it's good to go. It doesn't matter the regular color when the brakes are not hit. You just can't change the color of the bulbs or the covering on the lights to make it a totally different color.

In PA the law states that your lights cannot be covered or colored. At a show, they would be okay, but you'd be taking a chance driving with them.

Personally, I like 'em and may get a set for my ride!! For shows only that is..

What is the quality for the blackouts for headlights and tailights? Also are there any that arent covers and actualy blackout replacement headlights and tailights?

I wouldn't run them if they were 50 state legal.

I worry enough about getting rear ended, the last thing I want is my brake lights dimmer. And don't think it doesn't make a difference.

They are illegal here in Texas.
People run them anyways.
It's usually at the cop's discretion.
If you read all the print on the AM website you'll see that they are for "off road use only".

I have a set myself.
But I don't run them anymore.
They do look good at first.
After a while they look like crap and cheap.
Not worth the money.
They get old weathered and scratched up even when you take good care of them.
The best way to go is have a shop tint the lens from the inside or do it yourself.