Build Thread As Requested: Project Horse Manure

You cannot call the typical insanity that takes place during the typical collector car auction "selling a used car".
Mecum auctions notwithstanding. The guy that dumps 25-60k into a classic likely won't see a 1/3 of that and the schmuck that rolls his new gt or ss off the showroom floor will lose his ass the moment the for sale sign goes in the window.
Only vehicles I've seen purchased new that offer a minimal loss are jeep wranglers and even then you're going to take a hit when you sell, although buying and flipping used ones can be pretty lucrative.

• Sponsors (?)

I'll never finance another vehicle again. Biggest waste of money. If my stocks gave me the returns I'd get on selling a used car I'd fire my broker and have to file bankruptcy.
Unfortunately I did. I wanted to get a newer truck with low miles(not brand new-I wasn't going to pay 50k) so I got a 12'. Saved 20k off a new one but couldn't afford to outright pay for it either. I will keep this truck probably until I retire(that plan is 10 years from now). This vehicle replaced my 99' gmc which I owned for 9 years. It even has a 4 year bumper to bumper warranty(yes I over payed for it-but after my dads experience with a Cadillac-something with the computer?-it went to crap right after the warranty ran out and cost him a couple thousand).

Mecum auctions notwithstanding. The guy that dumps 25-60k into a classic likely won't see a 1/3 of that and the schmuck that rolls his new gt or ss off the showroom floor will lose his ass the moment the for sale sign goes in the window.
Only vehicles I've seen purchased new that offer a minimal loss are jeep wranglers and even then you're going to take a hit when you sell, although buying and flipping used ones can be pretty lucrative.
I agree that the average "resto" never seems to make the money that is paid for it at auction based on what we know it would've cost to restore it to that level. And I agree that any new car stops being worth what you paid for it after you sign the dotted line.
The "pipe" dream I was describing would be a collection of those 4-5 cars sitting in a climate controlled environment having never been driven beyond the mileage required to get it there. You see cars like that all the time, wondering who had the foresight or the freedom to just buy one, then let it sit, and never drive it. Even for the shop restoring one, they don't spend the kind of money these idiots are paying for them. Say what you will....The numbers dont lie.
https://www.mecum.com/results/

Reactions: 1 user
You can still get a 279.00 dollar a month pymt on a new camaro if you want........it'll be a 6 banger, and it'll only take 10 years to pay it off.

Last I checked there were.......84 month pymt terms being offered I think. With the price of a new GT being what?....34k?
That's still 451.00 a month before the insurance.
I'd have a stroke.

I should've known that buying a car in 2016 was gonna be so insane. I wondered if some guy in his 40-50's looking to buy the equivalent in 1969-70 was faced with the same staggering totals.

I was driving the other day, and considering what I coulda done if Id have a way to travel back in time with 20k..... Where would I have put that money? Houses? Gold,....Stock market, nope. Cars.

Who knew that a 5,000.00 Boss 429, or a 4000.00 Hemi Cuda were gonna be worth as much as one million dollars a few years ago? With 20 k in cash, you probably could've negotiated a deal to safely buy 5,..Hemi Cuda's, or 4 Boss 429's. Can you imagine?

If you knew what you were doing with that money w/ regard to buying a Ferrarri?
It'd be more like 10 times that.

20k = between 2-4 million dollars after sitting on it for 46 years. Show me the alternative to that investment.

*** and even after all of that,..the more you dig,...the more crazy sht that you find..... 67 L88 Corvettes selling for 3.8 mil; 66 Shelby Super Snake-5.5 mil, 65 Shelby Daytona Cobra Coupe 7.2 mil.
First car payment for me was on a 4 year note. My dad was livid. Told me I was a fool. If I couldn't pay for it in 2 years...I couldn't afford it! Lol. Like you stated the new dealership wanted me to go 72-84months!! Wow. They wouldn't even go 60 months 20+years ago. Vehicles are nicer these days. They run better,longer,and have more features but a really loaded truck costs almost as much as I paid for my house! Local acquaintance paid 72k for his!! Insane to me.

Hey Allen, how's the paint job looking after a little time?
Any more bubbles on your roof?

Well, they boy has been out of town for a week, and the car has been sitting in the shop. I did go out and look at it last night... There are a few more maybe. A lot more than i wanted anyway... My son isn't concerned with fixing them now. He just wants to drive it a little. I think we'll put on the road and worry about fixing it this summer when he's out of school.

Reactions: 2 users
In all honesty I couldn't build another Fox. 4th gen f body's outshine them in every way and are down enough in price that they in the same budget as a bolt on Fox. Say what you will but a bolt on ls will always outrun a bolt on 5.0 and you don't have a creaking rocking chair chassis to deal with.
This is true, but hopefully you've driven a few 4th gen fbodies. They're terrible cars in my opinion. I've owned one and driven/ridden a half dozen from bone stock to full blown drag car and they all suck.

Well, they boy has been out of town for a week, and the car has been sitting in the shop. I did go out and look at it last night... There are a few more maybe. A lot more than i wanted anyway... My son isn't concerned with fixing them now. He just wants to drive it a little. I think we'll put on the road and worry about fixing it this summer when he's out of school.
Amen to that brother, it's been a long haul. It's good to enjoy things.

image.jpeg

Yeah. I need another fox.
Someday I will own something calypso. Preferably a mustang, but I'd settle for a calypso push mower if I have to.

Someday I will own something calypso. Preferably a mustang, but I'd settle for a calypso push mower if I have to.

It's a funny thing, but when i found this car i was looking for a blue one.. But when i saw the pictures of it I had to have it. There are several colors i really, really like, burgundies, blues, and greens. Calypso has fallen in there just in the last six years or so.

You remember the scene in gone in 60 seconds where Cage was talking about stealing cars and all the different colors, just waiting to be plucked? That's how i feel about them... I just don't have enough money to pluck all the ones i love.. Haha.

Reactions: 4 users
There was definitely room for improvement. But seriously what else fits in its category? Mustang? 300z maybe?
Without spending vette or BMW m series money they were great cars

Mine was fun, but like i said it was a b!tch to work on.. And it sounded like a steel coffee can with pinto beans rattling in it going down the road.

How's progress Allen? Need pics of that beautiful blue sum****.

I'm actually enjoying the break right now. I spoke to my wife about an hour ago and they just crossed over from Mississippi to Louisiana on the way home. My boy will be home this evening and I'm sure he'll want to get started back to work on it. We have new seatbelts to install, the lower shifter seal/boot came in too.. Then we'll be painting and installing console and seats after a good shampooing. Plenty to do yet.