At what price would you buy a Terminator?

venom97 said:
too lazy/too cheap, well they dont make the camaro or fireturd any more.
Yeah. And...
venom97 said:
i dont know if that was just a too lazy or a too cheap decision that chevy made.
You don't know, huh? Since you typed the above statements, could you tell me what your arguement was supposed to present because I sure as hell can't figure it out...

Joe

• Sponsors (?)

W00t! I found something I disagree with Joe on! :jester:

I like the 03 Cobra. From a financial standpoint, it can't be touched for straightline speed, and it's still respectable (if numb) in the corners. I got mine not because I had deep pockets, but because I didn't :). Making my '95 trap 118 mph in the 1/4 would have cost more than just buying the Cobra. ;)

That said, my Cobra is for sale, and no doubt it's the one that Nobody is referring to in his post :). Someone on SN really should pick it up, that would be just awesome. No tick!

Dave

Rootus said:
W00t! I found something I disagree with Joe on! :jester:

I like the 03 Cobra. From a financial standpoint, it can't be touched for straightline speed, and it's still respectable (if numb) in the corners.
You're right about that Dave! I just like the challenge. I guess that's why my car has been broken for 14 months. :rolleyes:

How's the rice-mobile running, Dave?! :D

Joe

Nobody said:
I will prbably buy the first $17k Terminator that I find in my area. I'll pay a more for DSG or Screaming Yellow. The closest so far in my area is $20k Redfire. I would prefer an unmolested one but that won't happen. Anyone else "waiting" for the opportunity? What are your criteria?

i would pay 20k for that redfire, my local SVT dealer told me to expect 25k for one.

xr8d302 said:
Agreed! By the way yellow1995Cobra (forget your name) I have to say I love the new cobra, but you should have kept that yellow hoodless wonder with the 418....it almost made me cry looking at that engine bay through the windshield...

and if i'm not mistaken, didn't your other half have a hair clip or something inside that 95 that you weren't allowed to take out? It's been a while, and I might be completely mistaken, but i remember that from a while back

I would have loved to keep the 95.. And i would have if the timing chain didnt let go on that 418. It was just to expensive to justify repairing the motor to getting it running again. I do feel it was faster then the 03, but thats the ole SOTP meter.

Yea i had my gf's little hair clip in that car, and it found its way into the 03 as well :D

I figure.....25k for an unmolested Cobra, ~$2000 for all the little bolt-ons, $4k kennebell, $2500 Level 5's........stock t56 transmission is strong, but I doubt it'll survive @ mid-low 10's for long $$$

As you can see it adds up.....

I could run mid-low 10's with a 5.0 for about half that(mostly because the car is cheaper) and learn a lot about building a car in the process.
-forged 347 mexican shortblock
-H/C/I
-g force/tko 600
-axles/diff.
-bolt on crap(tb, maf, injectors etc.)
-ys trim or nitrous

Probably wouldn't make as much power, but being 600lbs. lighter with a solid axle can make up for that:)

mattkimsey said:
I figure.....25k for an unmolested Cobra, ~$2000 for all the little bolt-ons, $4k kennebell, $2500 Level 5's........stock t56 transmission is strong, but I doubt it'll survive @ mid-low 10's for long $$$

I could run mid-low 10's with a 5.0 for about half that(mostly because the car is cheaper) and learn a lot about building a car in the process.
-H/C/I
-g force/tko 600
-axles/diff.
-ys trim or nitrous

Probably wouldn't make as much power, but being 600lbs. lighter with a solid axle can make up for that:)

Build it then and prove it...... Theres alot of hidden costs involved in building a low 10 second car. Its not just a list of parts and bam this baby will run low 10's all day. You WILL break things, HG"s will pop, tuning time, all the maintenence will add up quick.

The thing thats great about my 03 is, i bought it for 26k, had 3300 miles on it and ALL the mods done to it. Ive done nothing to it, but a heat exchanger(300) and BFG DR's(300). I bought the car last year, drove it up to the track, ran a 11.6 first time out, drove it home. Never had to open the hood to fiddle with anything. Drive it, race it, no worrys. Ive never had a car i can say that about.

So hey, when you build your low 10 second car, and add up the costs, let me know how much it was :rlaugh:

Bench racing at it's finest

benches2.GIF

yellow1995Cobra said:
Build it then and prove it...... Theres alot of hidden costs involved in building a low 10 second car. Its not just a list of parts and bam this baby will run low 10's all day. You WILL break things, HG"s will pop, tuning time, all the maintenence will add up quick.

The thing thats great about my 03 is, i bought it for 26k, had 3300 miles on it and ALL the mods done to it. Ive done nothing to it, but a heat exchanger(300) and BFG DR's(300). I bought the car last year, drove it up to the track, ran a 11.6 first time out, drove it home. Never had to open the hood to fiddle with anything. Drive it, race it, no worrys. Ive never had a car i can say that about.

So hey, when you build your low 10 second car, and add up the costs, let me know how much it was :rlaugh:
and you asume that things wont break on a Cobra.....riiiiiiiiight......

I think most people can't afford(or don't want) the initial purchase price of the Cobra, but they can afford to slowly build a 5.0.....just think, a big car payment, plus the interest you end up paying.

I'd say a 27k Cobra would end up being close to 35k+ after it's paid for(financed for 5-6yrs.). Not to mention, the added insurance cost of having full coverage which would be about $1000+ per year, for me, and I have no tickets--4 yrs driving. Then we have to add in the taxes which are probably $400 per year on a car with that value. (My TA is ~$150 and it's worth ~11.5k) Now we have to deal with the extra headache of working on a DOHC motor when or if it breaks......most people can deal just fine with working on a pushrod motor...even those with little experience. I'm not so sure about the DOHC motor.

But hey, when you figure in all the added expenses of putting your Cobra into the low 10's, you let me know how much it was, ok? :nice:

mattkimsey said:
and you asume that things wont break on a Cobra.....riiiiiiiiight......

I think most people can't afford(or don't want) the initial purchase price of the Cobra, but they can afford to slowly build a 5.0.....just think, a big car payment, plus the interest you end up paying.

I'd say a 27k Cobra would end up being close to 35k+ after it's paid for(financed for 5-6yrs.). Not to mention, the added insurance cost of having full coverage which would be about $1000+ per year, for me, and I have no tickets--4 yrs driving. Then we have to add in the taxes which are probably $400 per year on a car with that value. (My TA is ~$150 and it's worth ~11.5k) Now we have to deal with the extra headache of working on a DOHC motor when or if it breaks......most people can deal just fine with working on a pushrod motor...even those with little experience. I'm not so sure about the DOHC motor.

But hey, when you figure in all the added expenses of putting your Cobra into the low 10's, you let me know how much it was, ok? :nice:

Maybe your blind, cant read, or just dumb? I never said i was gonna put my cobra into the low 10's. High 10's maybe.. not in the plan yet though. I like it the way it is - RELIABLE and fast. I can tell you how much money in mods i spent to run a 11.52 though. 26k for the car and thats it, borrowed a set of bfg's from onebad95.

Im seeing all this price crap about insurance, taxes and what not but im not really caring. My car will be paid off ina month, means it comes off the road in the winter, no interest etc, dont matter to me.

SO whats your car run anyways? Since you know so much about running low 10's :rlaugh: 13's, 14's?

Ill tell you right now, in my old 95, i had an EASY 15-20k(not including price of the car) into the car, and it was NOT gonna run low 10's the way it sat. Ive considered getting another 95 and doing everything right the first time around and i could see spending 20k easily. Which is way to much to put into a car that costs 4k to buy.

yellow1995Cobra said:
Maybe your blind, cant read, or just dumb? I never said i was gonna put my cobra into the low 10's. High 10's maybe.. not in the plan yet though.
I was talking about putting a car into the low 10's when you quoted me and made your comments. You went on to say this
So hey, when you build your low 10 second car, and add up the costs, let me know how much it was
So it was only right to compare....apples to apples:p 10sec Cobra vs. 10 sec 5.0.
yellow1995Cobra said:
I like it the way it is - RELIABLE and fast. I can tell you how much money in mods i spent to run a 11.52 though. 26k for the car and thats it, borrowed a set of bfg's from onebad95.
Thats great....you bought a car with mods already done....many people do it!

yellow1995Cobra said:
Im seeing all this price crap about insurance, taxes and what not but im not really caring.
YOU may not care, but the people wanting to buy one do! No, actually we all have 27k to throw around without giving the slightest worry to payments/insurance/taxes.....riiiiiiighht.

yellow1995Cobra said:
SO whats your car run anyways? Since you know so much about running low 10's :rlaugh: 13's, 14's?
Biggest interest tuff guy line ever! Way to flex your E-penis!! Your car runs 11.6, obviously you possess a cornucopia of a automotive knowledge only rivaled by those who run 11.5.

yellow1995Cobra said:
Ill tell you right now, in my old 95, i had an EASY 15-20k(not including price of the car) into the car, and it was NOT gonna run low 10's the way it sat.
Maybe it is best that you bought factory performance:rlaugh:
yellow1995Cobra said:
Ive considered getting another 95 and doing everything right the first time around and i could see spending 20k easily. Which is way to much to put into a car that costs 4k to buy.
No, if I were YOU, I wouldn't do that!

mattkimsey said:
I was talking about putting a car into the low 10's when you quoted me and made your comments. You went on to say this So it was only right to compare....apples to apples:p 10sec Cobra vs. 10 sec 5.0. Thats great....you bought a car with mods already done....many people do it!

YOU may not care, but the people wanting to buy one do! No, actually we all have 27k to throw around without giving the slightest worry to payments/insurance/taxes.....riiiiiiighht.

Biggest interest tuff guy line ever! Way to flex your E-penis!! Your car runs 11.6, obviously you possess a cornucopia of a automotive knowledge only rivaled by those who run 11.5.

Maybe it is best that you bought factory performance:rlaugh: No, if I were YOU, I wouldn't do that!

I don't think you have quite the understanding of yellow1995Cobra's last project before the 03 Cobra purchase

I'm not going to go too much further into this, but heed my advice and stop trash talking now. :Zip2:

mattkimsey said:
I was talking about putting a car into the low 10's when you quoted me and made your comments. You went on to say this So it was only right to compare....apples to apples:p 10sec Cobra vs. 10 sec 5.0. Thats great....you bought a car with mods already done....many people do it!

Maybe it is best that you bought factory performance:rlaugh: No, if I were YOU, I wouldn't do that!

You sound kinda like me about a year ago, except that I try not to be an ass. Why buy an 03 Cobra when you can build a 95 that is faster for less money? :rolleyes: I've got about $22-25K in my car right now, including the cost of the car, paint, rims, everything. And I still need about another $6-10K to finish it the way I want it.

Up until the time I pulled the engine, I loved driving my car. Right now I hate it because it's such a PITA to drive. A tune will fix most of that problem, but it's still insanely loud and it rides pretty rough. I love the way it sounds, but it would probably get old very quick if I was to drive the car daily. Im hoping my opinion will change next summer after I've redone the suspension and got a tune.

Basically, now I have a low 11 second car that I don't like to drive, where Jesse has low 11 second car that Im sure he loves to drive. He doesn't have to worry about overheating everytime he drives it, or whether it'll start again after driving it for a while. That's why people buy 03-04 Cobra's, it's cheap, reliable horsepower. I do love working on my car, (which you won't have to do much "work" on an 03 Cobra) but I don't like working on my car for 6 months and dumping $10K into it only to drive it for 600 miles that year. I put 6000 miles on my car last year, and about 22K the year before that. At this point, I don't really care how fast it is, I just want something fun to drive again....Which is probably why I bought my Mazda to hold me over until I get the stang running good. :rlaugh:

mattkimsey said:

-H/C/I
-g force/tko 600
-axles/diff.
-ys trim or nitrous

Dude...

You don't compare money invested in a car to see how fast you go. "Well I went 10's with X-amount, and you went 10's with Y-amount. I'm better because I spent less." Get a life. If money means that much, get a second/third/fourth/nine-thousandth job. It's the parts on the car - going 10's in a N/A 289 is much more impressive than a N/A 418, etc.

You also discuss the ever so famous "easier to work on"-arguement of the pushrod versus SOHC/DOHC.
mattkimsey said:
Now we have to deal with the extra headache of working on a DOHC motor when or if it breaks......most people can deal just fine with working on a pushrod motor...even those with little experience. I'm not so sure about the DOHC motor.
If anyone finds it more difficult to work on a DOHC motor, they should be touching it. Why so many people make such a big deal about working on those things is beyond me.

Also, you need to get your head out of the magazines and get into the real world. You criticize someone who has "factory performance" yet you are putting together a motor combination that should make MORE power than the Cobra. First, you're putting a forged crank into a block that will break before the crank...that's a good start :rolleyes:. Second, you're putting a YS trim on a 347. With good heads, you'll make enough power to see the block split before the 1-2 shift.

Have a NICE day.:nice:

Joe