Atlanta people, need area info.. may be moving!

I don't think Delta will make it through. Not as a whole. To many bad decisions by poor management. They destroyed morale and destroyed customer service. I don't forsee them recovering when the LCC's offer exactly that. I left 6 months ago to go back to the military so I could actually have a retirement. I could have gone to AirTran and made about the same with better benefits. I had 7 years with Delta. It will hurt Atlanta for awhile when it happens. Some of he LCC's will pick up the slack. The economy here will hurt for awhile. There are jobs out there though.

• Sponsors (?)

Another South of ATL mustanger here.
So, I hear all the drama Delta is going through and the impact to the local communities.
Everyone's hit the head on banking and housing.
Per Trents point ... consider traffic. Commuter times can suck.

If you live over around I-75/675 the state has decided to do a century long road expirement so there is always gridlock. Weekends, midnight you name the time.

I used to commute daily up I-85 to the airport from P'Tree City. In the morning it's pretty heavy but always flowed well. Afternoons are cake, easy drive into work. Midnights are even easier. The only bad thing about I-85 is cops. They love to hide up and down and there is a State trooper outpost in Newnan. 85 has some loooong straight sections and it is very tempting but eventually you'll get caught....trust me :)

I hope so. Interview went well, they said I did a good job. I answered all the questions etc. No biggie.

Guess I'll wait to hear from them :) I did hang out some after the intv and talked with some people, then had drinks (I had coke actually, since I don't do alcohol) with some of the big bosses :)

So, I'd say it's looking pretty damn good :) I've already started packing, but now I prob need to get serious. I'm thinking about trading in the Jeep on a Yukon while they have the red tag sale. Wife has always wanted one, and I'd get the stang :D The TJ isn't going to be very commuter friendly :( ****, I'm just about selling everything we have. Prob going to sale the quads too :(

been looking for houses pretty much every night at work. Is there a big difference in Fulton and Coweta county?

I've looked at tons of homes in Newnan and like alot of them. Palmeto is a little closer, but even the brand new houses seem cheaper then in Newnan. I assume that Fulton has higher tax rates? Not as good schools?

Kraw said:
nope, still in Kenner. I've been looking at houses online

What about Hampton/Lovejoy area? Lots of new houses there

I won't be moving until mid February

I live in Hampton, Lovejoy is like 2 minutes from me. If you have kids I would advise against moving here. There are tons of new homes here but the market here is bottomed out. IMO if you bought here you would have an extremely difficult time building equity in your home. They are sticking 4-5 houses on an acre down here now, it's packed! Some of the new neighborhoods near me are starting homes in the $150k-$180k range. No way they will get any real equity...ever. Gang activity has started to get out of hand as well.

The only reason I'm still here is because I'm looking after my parents home until they sell it. It'll be on the market in February and I'll be moving out of the area for sure. I grew up in this house and have lived there for pretty much 25 years. Area used to be great, sadly though it went down very quickly. I live alone and when I get home from work I walk in the house with my 4D Maglite just in case. I just don't feel safe around here anymore.

This is just my opinion but if you have the money I would look at the lower end of Fayette/Coweta counties if you want to live on the southside. I think I mentioned it but look at places like Sharpsburg, Senoia, Peachtree City. Some areas of Palmetto are nice. I've seen some nice places down HWY 29 south towards Newnan. Another place that looks promising but I haven't checked out is down South Fulton Parkway. There is never any traffic there and it's a pretty quick drive to Atlanta.

I think the best thing would be if you could come out here for the day and just drive around to see what areas would suit you. Most are a short drive from the airport. Let me know if you need some info on anything.

Hey, I live in Newnan when I am not deployed. I like the area allot. Friendly people, reasonable cost of living and taxes, liberal gun laws. It is a straight shot to the airport on I-85. Peachtree City has allot more traffic plus is 11 miles off I-85. I live in a Large sub-division called Summergrove and like it. Have lived here 6 years. Chop

thanks for all the info... guess I'll stick with the Newnan area.

It looks like we are just going to get an appartment for about 6 mos, until we can get to know the area and find a house we like. Plus, if our house doesn't sell fast, we may be paying a mortgage and rent :(

I've looked at a few apt's in PTC. Most look new. Any suggestions on apt's in that area? I saw some Lofts at Newnan or something, but found a rating site and they were the only place that had a ton of votes, and mostly negative!

We'll actually be in town next week. I'm getting a storage building in Newnan and bringing a uhaul trailer of stuff up. Hopefully, it'll make moving easier ina few weeks

Those Newnan lofts are nice, I thought about going there myself. One thing is while it is a nice building the area itself is not the best. The lofts themselves are probably true what you read. Being able to smell other peoples dinner, smoking, other smells through the walls/ceilings.

When I lived in Peachtree City I stayed here

http://www.amli.com/Community/Community.aspx?RegionTag=atlanta&ACH=False&CommunityTag=peachtreecity

Nice place, they put in new carpet before I moved in and what was in there didn't look bad at all before they replaced it. Staff was nice.

They have another property almost right across the street from that one too that are a little more expensive but newer

http://www.amli.com/Community/Community.aspx?RegionTag=atlanta&ACH=False&CommunityTag=kedronvillage

Those are both off HWY 74. About a 10 minute ride to I-85 and then about another 10-15 minutes to the airport.

If you end up looking for houses in Newnan check this place out

http://www.summergrove.com/

Some co-workers live there and love it for family style living.