Aussie Fords possibly coming to the U.S.

1slow95

Founding Member
May 16, 2002
ohio
http://www.themustangnews.com/fomoco/st-0506_ozfords.htm

For the lazy...
05-5-06: Ford recently announced plans to expand the role of their Australian division in developing new global platforms. With a major investment in engineering staff expansion, new projects are to include a new light truck and full size rear-wheel drive car platform.

Significant is that plans include the development of both right and left hand drive variants of the new platforms for the purpose of export and global production.

"The engineering experience and capability we have in Australia is a strategic advantage for Ford and it is important that we use this great resource not just to benefit Australian customers, but to benefit customers in markets around the world.”, said Bill Ford. “The skills and technologies available in the Australian marketplace are some of the best in our global organization.”

He added, "Our new globally-oriented strategic direction will allow us to build upon the capabilities and intellectual excellence we have here in Australia. The Ford Australia team will deliver an exciting new engineering and design program for numerous markets around the world, while also investigating further future export opportunities for both Territory and Falcon." The Territory is a car-based cross-over vehicle (CUV) that that shares its platform with the Australian Ford Falcon.

What Bill Ford said is that Australian engineered Fords are going global. While most of their product sharing is likely destined for Pacific/Asian markets, one has to consider the holes in the American product line-up both in light trucks such as the Ford Ranger and more importantly, larger rear-wheel drive sedans. To date Ford has nothing to seriously compete with Dodge/Chrysler rear-wheel drive cars or upcoming models from GM, who incidentally also has their Australian division developing a new RWD architecture for the American market.

Engineered for both right and left-hand drive and to be assembled in multiple countries, the first product is most likely to be a small pick-up truck. An all-new Falcon model and future Territory models will form the basis of potential export opportunities for Ford Australia's globally competitive large rear-wheel drive vehicle platform.

The Australian Ford Falcon offers a range of powerplants that rival anything available in America. A smooth revving inline DOHC six cylinder engine is standard across the board with 250 hp. A turbo version with over 325 hp is available, all with the smoothness that only BMW offers in an inline six here in the States. More importantly, an Australian built trio of Ford’s 5.4 mod V-8 comes in 308, 348, and 388 horsepower versions. The top engine is essentially identical to the 2000 Cobra R power plant. All engines are hooked up to either a six speed manual or automatic transmission.

"While we have no concrete export plans to announce at this time, our new strategic direction as a company will involve us actively targeting additional opportunities for our outstanding domestically manufactured vehicles,” said Ford Australia President, Mr Tom Gorman. "The addition of left-hand drive engineering capability to our product development team will provide significant experience and assist us to develop a viable export program for our world class rear-wheel drive architecture.”

The prospect that new cars and small trucks developed in Australia will be built here in the US is more likely than the import of vehicles from OZ as the inherent currency differences and import costs aren't favorable. It does make sense for Ford of North America to have the Australian arm of the company develop new RWD car models as they have the most expertise and experience at it. As an aside, on our last visit to Dearborn we saw a few Australian Falcons parked at one of Ford’s R&D facilities wearing MFR plates.

The aged Panther platform that carries the Crown Victoria, Grand Marquis, and Town Car is sorely in need of replacement. A new global RWD platform from Australia would be just the ticket, and likely less expensive to produce than the DEW 98 platform that underpins the Lincoln LS and Jaguar S-Type. With its “control blade” independent rear suspension the cars would be competitive with future rivals from Chrylser and GM. Such architecture could even see service under the next generation Mustang.

We can only hope.

• Sponsors (?)

Aussie Ford Falcon Race Car
View attachment 471129

just like Nate mentioned they do have an el camino/ranchero version. but who knows if it's coming over here.

i.ford.falcon.xr8.04jan.myallriver.JPG

another pic, kinda of reminds me of a certian import

View attachment 471134

Attachments

• i.ford.falcon.xr8.04jan.myallriver.JPG
    i.ford.falcon.xr8.04jan.myallriver.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 90
I studied abroad in Sydney for over 8months, the cars over there are sick. Fords and Holdens are both really bad ass. Subarus are all over the place, I lived near a main road and it was cool to hear their unique exhaust note all of the time. They were all over the streets kind of like how Civics are all over out streets.
I wish I was still there, but I really did miss our Mustangs, driving on the right side of the road and left hand drive cars.
-fawcett