Automatic + stall = fun!

scupking

Sep 18, 2005
Enfield, CT
After three weeks of issues with installing the stall converter and performance valve body I have her back. First valve body wouldn't shift into 3rd so I had to get another one built and shipped to me. As you all know when you mod your car what can go wrong will go wrong. So I have been driving her to work all week and can't believe how much fun she is with a 3200rpm none locking stall and performance valve body. These mods completely woke up the car (not to say 300rwhp and 4.10 weren't fun as it was). I didn't think I would like the none locking converter but its perfect. On the highway my rpms are about 200rpm higher then without the converter. At 75mph I'm about 3,000rpm. I love the feeling of instant tq at any speed and love how the car drives now. Feels much more like an old school muscle car. To tell you the truth out of all my mods the ones I could feel the biggest difference on the butt dyno was the 4.10 gears and now the stall converter. Next up will be a new transmission tune to nail down the shift points.

• Sponsors (?)

I fear the stalled cars at the track. I bet after you get it dialed in, that would have knocked off 3-4 tenths. Congrats!

Yeah a built and stalled auto brings some real fun.

What made you go with a non-locking stall?

Lenny from ultimate converter recommended a non locking. I emailed him my dyno graph and also told him I want a fun street car and one that would be good when I go to the track. So he built me the converter off of that. Lenny is a cool guy and we talked about it for a good half hour over the phone before I ordered. He is the one that builds the converters for Roush's daughters race cars. He said the lock on a locking converters are just another part that he see fail a lot on other converters. He also explained how he builds his non locking converters to be 95-97% efficient. I believe him about the efficiency because I didn't no I even had a converter until I got on the gas a little. The car still acts normal when put into gear. Slow acceleration isn't much different then stock and my gas mileage didn't seem to change. What I love is it seems like the engine is working a lot less to move the car. Its kind of hard to explain but she just sounds better and she pulls hard in every gear no matter what speed I'm at. No longer do you have to floor the car or manually downshift to get the rpms up all you have to do is just get on the gas a little and the rpms jump to 3200-3300 and she pulls you right along, its great. Granted when you do go WOT its even better. My peak tq is at 3400 with my cams so when the car shifts I'm right back at my peak tq at wot. I'm very happy I went with the non locking converter from Lenny.

I agree, Auto + stall = fun!! Once you get the tune dialed in you will love it even more. I knocked a good .5 off of my quarter mile time with the stall and ET streets.

What performance valve body did you end up going with?? I’m running a BC Automotive. Do you have any noise between shifts?? On my 2nd to 3rd shift I’m getting a metal to metal click that’s been there since the install. I’m wonder if it has anything to do with the valve body.

I agree, Auto + stall = fun!! Once you get the tune dialed in you will love it even more. I knocked a good .5 off of my quarter mile time with the stall and ET streets.

What performance valve body did you end up going with?? I’m running a BC Automotive. Do you have any noise between shifts?? On my 2nd to 3rd shift I’m getting a metal to metal click that’s been there since the install. I’m wonder if it has anything to do with the valve body.

Yup I bought one from BC Automotive and I also get that click sound under light acceleration. It does not happen at WOT.

Nice to see you back on the boards again CobraRed. You've always had insightful tech advice. How's the car coming along? Last I recall, you had wrecked before installing your new motor :(