Automatics ?4R70?

• Sponsors (?)

the auto on these cars is more sturdy then the manuals from i have seen over the years. They take more hp to operate but with a better converter and valve body you can spank the stick at the track.

a few of the 03/04 cobras are using them now, but I am sure they are built up a little, but the are beating the hell out of them and they love them. so if they can handle cobra power then they must be ok.

Yep, I love mine! Don't let the stick snobs tell you they're no good. I don't care how good a driver a guy is, he simply CANNOT shift faster and more consistently than my 4R70W!

Throw in a nice stall converter and a valve body or J-mod, and go have fun!!

I dont know what tranny i have, but its an 04 gt auto. I had to have the tranny rebuilt at 17k. BUT I do have a supercharger on the car, and i think previous owner beat the living hell out of it before they traded it in (bought the car with the supercharger already installed)

DropTopPony said:
you can spank the stick at the track.
:p

that is all.

Just to contribute to the thread - I had mine rebuilt, have about 25K on the fresh tranny - no problems at all. Internals are all upgraded, PI stall convertor, tranny cooler - shifts amazing. Guy I know just dropped a 4R70W in his KB Cobra, over 650 to the wheels.

I wish I would have been able to go with a convertor, however wasn't able to swing the cash when the car went down. I've heard that it's a hell of a mod and well worth the money :nice:

d98gt said:
I wish I would have been able to go with a convertor, however wasn't able to swing the cash when the car went down. I've heard that it's a hell of a mod and well worth the money :nice:
The convertor is one of the best mods I ever did to my car - when it locks, you can really feel the power kick in - very noticible difference.

i have looked high and low for converters for my 2000 GT. i cant figure out what bolt pattern i have 10 5/8 or 11.4 inch. and whats a worthy brand. ive heard good stuff about TCI

ProCharger GT said:
Go to Converter.com, get info on the 4R70W
That didnt help. they dont have an application chart. just like all the others. they seem to have more 5.0 stuff. and the agrivating thing is that aftermarket companies pamper the new 05-06 mustang guys. there are TCs in Summit for them but none for the modulars. :bang: that makes no sense, my cars paid off and i cant find a TC.

fastangboi said:
That didnt help. they dont have an application chart. just like all the others. they seem to have more 5.0 stuff. and the agrivating thing is that aftermarket companies pamper the new 05-06 mustang guys. there are TCs in Summit for them but none for the modulars. :bang: that makes no sense, my cars paid off and i cant find a TC.
I don't get what you don't understand - the 4R70W is a 9.5" converter

9.5" lock-up AODE
Multi-Disc 3 plate
2400-6000 RPM's

http://www.converter.com/stallion.htm

It's a 9.5 for the high stall converters. It's an 10.5" or 11" stock. But you're right...they (the aftermarket) only offer one diameter. ;)

Also, go to Circle D if you want a quality converter! PI, which is what I have, uses wimpy clutches. There's not enough meat on them and they eventually fail. That being said, I have about 20,000 miles on the converter (52,000 on the car) and have no issues yet, but my miles are 80% highway (knocking wood). When it does go, Circle D here I come!! Oh, and if you go with Circle D, you can go with the single-disc. It'll handle up to like 400 rwhp or something. PI is something closer to 300.