Autotrans/speedo Sender Question

CarMichael Angelo

my rearend will smell so minty fresh,
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
I'm running a 4R70w in my car, and using a digital gauge cluster. The gauges are pretty similar to the ones I had in the red car, and the speedo is calibrate-able based on pulse count coming off of the sender.

When I had the trans apart, I noticed that the output shaft was splined for what looked like a gear driven speedo sender, w/ a dedicated, plugged hole for that sender in the extension housing.

The reason I ask this is because I may want to use the gear driven speedo sender that came in the gauge kit as opposed to the internal sender already in the trans, and want to know if I can just go to Ford parts and get a gear for the sender. The last time I attempted to use this gauge cluster on a TR3650, the internal speed sender dealt the speedo fits, and I could never get it calibrated, but it worked perfectly when I had the gear driven sender on the T5 before that.

• Sponsors (?)

You can buy those gears anywhere. Hanlon sells them, cjpony parts, Steeda. they are all over the place. They run about $15/piece. This is my preferred calculator for determining the correct driven gear.

http://www.tciauto.com/tc/speedometer-gear-calculator/

I'm not sure how many teeth the drive gear has on that particular transmission. You didn't happen to counte whne you were in there?

Kurt

You can buy those gears anywhere. Hanlon sells them, cjpony parts, Steeda. they are all over the place. They run about $15/piece. This is my preferred calculator for determining the correct driven gear.

http://www.tciauto.com/tc/speedometer-gear-calculator/

I'm not sure how many teeth the drive gear has on that particular transmission. You didn't happen to counte whne you were in there?

Kurt
No, that would've been the smart thing to do.

We're talking about me here.

I don't think it matters, the speedo will just count the pulse count from the sender over a measured mile, so it's just a matter of getting a gear to make the sender work.