AWD vs RWD!!! my friend an i are fighting about this

WTF is this, im new here so i dont know what the hell this pole stuff is

• im right, RWD is better

Votes: 13 30.2%
  • im wrong, im a dumbass, my friend was right

Votes: 30 69.8%

• Total voters
Trust me, not everyone understands that...

well a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee in AWD might not. :lol:

Not true. An awd system typically has a higher drivetrain loss than a rwd or fwd vehicle. Given that two cars are exactly the same weight and crank hp the rwd will lay more hp down to the ground (where it matters)
For example a mustang with 300hp has maybe a 20% drivetrain loss which ends up being 240whp. A similar awd car with 300hp may have a 30% drivetrain loss which = 210whp. Hypothetically speaking the mustang will win because it has more hp to the wheels, but some may be lost to wheelspin.
So even if the awd car has less whp it may win in the 60' because of the traction advantage. Everything from 2nd gear on is all rwd though due to the absence of wheelspin.

my point exactly....:bang:

• Sponsors (?)

my friend says that all wheel drive is better for launching in the drag, but i say its only good for curvy roads or tracks, and the only reason rear wheel drive is better in the drag is because it can put power into 2 big wheels, with the right amount of weight on the rear axle to hold the wheels down, and also you dont have to split the power up to each wheel. please show me that im right because i know that i am, my friend is just being stupid. i know that you can make an AWD car launch good, but no where near as good as RWD.

1. The key to launching is traction
2. 4 Tires makes better traction than 2
3. Stock setup vs stock setup....AWD is better than RWD.

"Splitting the power up between wheels"...I am assuming you are talking about some type of parasitic drivetrain loss...which is negligible in the quarter mile.

The reason that the NHRA does not use AWD, those cars weigh so little already, adding AWD would create a major percent increase in weight.

The reason that track cars do not use AWD, weight once again comes in to play, and the fact that traction on road courses is a variable due to G forces, not launching. Hence the sticky tires and great suspensions.

okay i do see proof that it launches better, but the cobra still caught up to it, im gonna try to find the vids of the cobra launching better than an AWD, theres one with an evo that it beats.

Like I said before, it depends on the driver. If Blade did not know how to drive then the STI would probably have taken him considering he knows how to launch his car.

btw AWD isnt used in a lot of higher end racing because it was banned for having too much of an advantage. watch teh Speed Touring Car and Speed GT racing. the Audis always pwn everyone else on the launches. AWD was banned in trans-am because Audi was handing everyone their asses.

I been own a eagle talon tsi awd same as eclipse gsx awd turbo. Its easy to launch and some time I launch it at 5k and it shooting out the hole like a monster.

BTW launch at high rpm in awd = breaking up stuff easy.

I been own a eagle talon tsi awd same as eclipse gsx awd turbo. Its easy to launch and some time I launch it at 5k and it shooting out the hole like a monster.

BTW launch at high rpm in awd = breaking up stuff easy.

Very true, a couple of Evo's at the track I saw blew their clutch launching so many times at high rpms.