AWESOME GRILL!!! is it stock???

hey guys.. I love this guys grill... i'm preety sure it's not stock....i kinda wonder how they modified it like that... either way i think it looks great.. any idea where i can get one? or how i could make one?

thanks guys....
-James

588721_193_full.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

well, i hate to burst everyones bubble, but this is a stock 74 grille, possibly modified to not have virtical bars, but the vert. bars were not that visible on the 74 anyhow and they could have painted them.

the 77 had vert. bars and they were very visible so it is NOT a 77 grille.

Eos said:
Would look better without the fugly middle lights. =( Sorry those and the bumpers are my least favorite II things!

I don't mind the grill lights, especially when the grill surround is all black, but those bumpers have always irked me. I'm modifying a shelby GT350R fiberglass front panel to replace my front II bumper and fabricating something similar to a monroe handler II rear valance to replace the rear bumper.
handler_bw.jpg

Monroe Handler. Got rid of both your problems, lights and bumpers. :)
In my opinion, the ultimate look for a II.

Attachments

• handler_bw.jpg
    handler_bw.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 103
69stang351 said:
well, i hate to burst everyones bubble, but this is a stock 74 grille, possibly modified to not have virtical bars, but the vert. bars were not that visible on the 74 anyhow and they could have painted them.

the 77 had vert. bars and they were very visible so it is NOT a 77 grille.

That's not a 74 grille. It's a 75-78.

I don't see how some of you don't see the verticle bars, I see them plain as day. Maybe try not to look so close at the picture, and they might appear for you. You can easily see them in the background, blocking what's behind them.

My guess is that it's just a stock black grille, that someone put chome door edge guard on the horizontal and surround plastic. I've seen that done many times on lots of different cars, and it looks nice when done right.

Sal, I agree with you...and I see the vertical bars too. Besides, the 1974 grilles had eight horizontal rows in the eggcrate grille as opposed to the 75-78's that had only six. This is in addition to the 1974 parking light housings which were different too, having a horizontal bar though their middle.

I agree, it's a standard '77 base coupe grille. They were painted as shown.

As for the bumpers...they beat the crap outta most cars of the era with the big chrome or aluminum bars: Maverick, Fairmont, full-size everything, Aspen/Volare, Nova, etc, etc, etc. It was a first step to the integrated covers we have today, while still retaining the "original" contours, to those that care about that.

Personally, I don't object to the parklamps. Some argue that it detracts from the original concept, but '65-68 GT cars had foglamps there. My brother's '68 Sprint package coupe had 'em as well. And the much vaunted Boss/Mach cars had "sportlamps" as well. Always amuses me when I see someone selling a II grille with "sportlamps" :rlaugh:

LXXVICOBRA said:
Sal, I agree with you...and I see the vertical bars too. Besides, the 1974 grilles had eight horizontal rows in the eggcrate grille as opposed to the 75-78's that had only six. This is in addition to the 1974 parking light housings which were different too, having a horizontal bar though their middle.

my mistake guys, i kinda jumped to conclusions, you are correct about it not being a 74 due to the fact that there arent any horizontal bars in the lights and less bars in the grille, oh btw, i too see the vertical bars, and it is a very sharp looking grille at that :nice: