Bad computer? need some wiring help

88GT17MA

Nov 1, 2004
I am having strange issues with my 1987 lx. First I was not getting any power to my fuel pump, in diagnosing this I realized the computer did not have power either. The wiring harness was a little hacked and what I believe to be the EEC power wire (blue fusible link) was not connected. Without this cable connected I am getting a click in the EEC relay but nothing beyond that. I then attached this cable to the battery side of the solenoid. When I turned the key to the ignition point, without cranking, the computer made a very loud buzzing noise until I took the key back out.

This was a speed density car and I took the engine wiring harness and a9l from my Mass air 88gt.

I know the problems could be endless but with any other input you guys need and what I have posted hopefully someone can help shed some light.

Also the rest of the power in the car is working, starter solenoid is cranking the starter and all accessories work.

Thanks in advance - Andrew

• Sponsors (?)

I have been doing some more research. I think my EEC is not grounded correctly. I thought the EEC is grounded by the two black wires that bolt to the chassis. Is there also another ground for the EEC connected to the circle connector off of the wiring harness?

The EEC ground's mounting point is adjacent the battery (between the battery and windshield washer reservoir).

I understand where the ground goes, I am just trying to figure out which wire is the ECU ground wire. If I have this correctly.....there are two black wires coming out of the driver side harness which are paired together and both have eye connectors which bolt to the chassis. Aside from these two wires is there also a ground coming out of the main ECU harness right next to the 20amp blue fuse link? It is a black and green wire in my harness with a circular connector, right now it is just cut and not attached to anything.

EEC Pins 40 and 60 are the power grounds IIRC. They're black with a light green trace.

If you have suspicions about a particular wire (like the black/green wire), disconnect the EEC elec connector and find the same wire at the EEC harness end. Check continuity between both ends of the wire.

Had to stitch two pages together so it's a little large.

88_EEC.jpg

Last edited: