baking soda media for sand blasting - where to get it?

wildstang

Founding Member
Apr 8, 1999
Orange, Vermont
Has anyone ever used the baking soda inplace of sand for rust and paint removal at their house?

If so how did it work, where did you get it and how much was it for how many pounds.

Was it easier to clean up?

Thanks for any help

• Sponsors (?)

you can but not through a regular blasting unit, you need a very expensive custom made one just for that type of media.

silica sand works just fine #5 and #3 work great on rust and paint and around here 100lbs is 6.88$

Do not use sand! A) it holds moisture so any sand that gets between seams will atract moisture and rust formation. B) the silica imbeds it's self in your lungs and causes cancer.

RajunCajun, I am not saying you are wrong but have you looked into it before. I have seen some of it done in magazines and didn't pay close attention to the blaster they used but it did not appear much different and the articles did not mention that it needed a special blaster. Thanks for any help.

Sundance said:
Do not use sand! A) it holds moisture so any sand that gets between seams will atract moisture and rust formation.

Ive stored lots of sand for years outside in South Louisiana in plastic 5 gal paint jugs and never had a problem with moisture as does my supplier ( Grainger )

Also after your done blasting you should of get rid of all the sand left in the seams with various methods, Ive painted two part epoxy primers on numerous things and never had this sort of problem...

B) the silica imbeds it's self in your lungs and causes cancer.
Has been shown factually it can, thus wear proper protection and youll never have that problem...

Wildstang,
The Company that does this stuff

Drezek Environmental Stripping Systems (DESS)
Dept. HR11
San Juan Capistrano, CA 92675
714/489-0300

wish i could get silica sand that cheap around here. Here its $15 for a 50lb bag.

I have used sand on many parts. If you are worried about it getting stuck somewhere and retaining moisture....take a torch to where ever you blasted to dry out the sand and then blast it all with air.

Funny you ask. I am hoping to pickup a unit tomorrow to do my Mach1.

If I recall correctly it uses something like 138CFM. Needless to say my 6.5hp compressor is not going to keep up with that. The company I am renting from supply's the diesel powered compressor.

Price is rather reasonalble here @ $200 for a day + media. The nice thing is you can pick it up on Friday night and return on Monday morning, only charged for one day because they are not open on Sunday.

Here is the place in Dallas:

http://www.sodablasting.com/index.htm

Will keep you posted.

Mike Lay

found a article you may of already seen here

no small hoses there :nice:
p159672_image_large.jpg

Went and picked up the compressor and the media after work.

I took a piece of the floor pan I cut out and asked them to demonstrate, this was a replacement pannel that was primed and undercoated after install. It removed all of the undercoating and epoxy primer, leaving the metal looking as fresh as new. It had some VERY light surface rust, finger prints, and it cleaned it up. I would not expect it to remove any rust and it is not abrasive enough.

I will try to pst some pictures this weekend.

Mike