Battery problem

nyterydr89

May 5, 2003
Connecticut
I went out to start my 89 gt today and the battery was dead no biggie it happens some times. So I throw it on the charger and the charger is showing that it wont take a charge so I take it to sears and have them throw it on the tester and sure enough the battery is toast. So I pick up a die hard battery and have him check it to make sure it has enough juice and leave I throw it in the gt and still no start I wiggled the cables slightly and got some instrument lights but no start. The cables are in pretty bad shape and there is a open ended monster cable going from the positive terminal to the rear of the car. I was just wondering could it be the cables or just the connection I cant get the cable ends to go any tighter on the battery posts. My newbie question is how do I replace the cables where do the run to? any help/ info would be appreciated :hail2:

• Sponsors (?)

swap your cables, gonna have to sometime, as SC eludes to.

how did sears "check" the battery? load test, specific gravity, voltmeter, etc?

i have received more than one battery off the shelf that was bad.
really check your grounds if it has been rainy out when this happens (or anyways). a little resistance (caused by corrosion-worse when the weather is poor), will leave you high and dry (or wet). remember juice flows from neg to positive. poor ground equals poor/inadequate conductivity.

as for the monster cable, is it for something (amp?) that is hooked up. if not, dont connect it to the battery. decent chance it has chaifed or is shorting out a little.

and last thing, when it does start, since you cables are in bad shape, i would recommend doing a drop test on the starter cable. they are prone to deterioration and can really cause problems. drop of anywhere over 1 volt is unacceptable.

good luck. let us know what you find.
oh yeah, try throwin your charger on your new battery for grins. i bet it takes a decent (a lot) of charge. every new one i ever get seems to.