best brake upgrade for $500 or less

Red2V

Oct 5, 2003
Is there anything i can do to make my mustang stop better for $500 or less. I dont know about you guyes but im not too impressed with the stock setup. Any ideas anyone?

• Sponsors (?)

I got loaded cobra calipers from www.buyfordmotorsport.com for $230.00 shipped to my door, zinc washed crossed drilled & slotted rotors, cobra front, gt rear for $240.00 shipped to my door off E-bay. look great & perform great.

I know these rotors get beat up alot in this forum but i love them and get alot of compliments, BEAR sells the same rotors and have great results with thier track kit.

Best bang for the buck I feel :flag:

Here's some picks

Isaac-1 said:
Does anyone have an oppinion on keeping the stock calipers and upgrading rotors and pads, Namely going with Powerslot rotors and Hawks performance pads?

Ike

This will provide the greatest improvement (include stainless steel lines) of all. I would only go the cobra 13" if you plan on roadracing. The stock 99&up stuff works well with good pads and lines, they just don't dissipate the heat as well under continued heavy breaking since the rotors are smaller. If your stock rotors are ok I would keep them and get the hawk pads and SS lines.

Isaac-1 said:
Does anyone have an oppinion on keeping the stock calipers and upgrading rotors and pads, Namely going with Powerslot rotors and Hawks performance pads?

Ike
One of the main reasons the stock brakes don't stop as well is the small size of the rotors. The 13'' rotors from the cobra kit give the caliper a better angle to clamp at. The stock brakes actually have a larger pad, but the cobra's have a better clamp angle.. just image spinning a large bike tire and trying to stop it with your hand on the inside of the wheel vs. on the tire

219150_39_full.jpg

219150_61_full.jpg

once the pads break in they stop quite nicely compared to stock
$399 from www.mustangparts.com
-wade