Best Launch RPM For A Stock Auto?

vld

Nov 5, 2004
any concencus on what is the optimum rpm for launching a stock auto? this is assuming a launch from a brake stand or break torque i think some of you call it. i have tried up to 1800 which was ideal for my old 5.0 and she (my 03gt) lopes casually off the line. i am thinking that since this 4.6 likes the higher rpms that i may not even be making power yet at 1800. how high can i go and not break the tranny? i have it in my head to try a launch at 4000 but havent done it yet because auto trannys aint cheap and i do NOT want to break this one.

• Sponsors (?)

Do NOT neutral drop the trans, thats a QUICK way to destroy the tranny.

Best way to launch these things is to stomp it from an idle, that will 'flash' the torque converter to the max stall speed.. then its just a matter of traction.

If you want a stronger launch, get gears/high rpm stall converter and some sticky tires.

triggz said:
Do NOT neutral drop the trans, thats a QUICK way to destroy the tranny.

Best way to launch these things is to stomp it from an idle, that will 'flash' the torque converter to the max stall speed.. then its just a matter of traction.

If you want a stronger launch, get gears/high rpm stall converter and some sticky tires.

this man speaks the truth.

Hell, i'm lying, autos LOVE nuetral drops, the higher the better, just stomp the gas and let it bang the rev limiter, slam the shifter in D and feel the POWER!!!!! let us know how it turns out :D

Joel's98GT said:
this man speaks the truth.

Hell, i'm lying, autos LOVE nuetral drops, the higher the better, just stomp the gas and let it bang the rev limiter, slam the shifter in D and feel the POWER!!!!! let us know how it turns out :D

:lol: that's funny let me get in my car and see what happens...............oh and to the oiginal poster you'll also need a handheld tuner either DiabloSport or SCT you wont regret this purchase

neutral drops aside, i am talking brakes locked/rear end spinning to x number rpm then let go brakes. was taught that this is the best way to launch an auto when i was in the 5.0. not the case here?

Launching it by mashing the brakes causes the motor to bog at least for me with the stock converter, i think the most effectiveway to launch is just to mash it from a complete stop.

Yup, its best to launch on idle with the stock converter. As for 4.10's, be sure to shop around first before buying. I got my gears about 2 years ago for around 130 dollars from Randy Stinchcomb. He's a great guy to deal with for parts.

DBMSTNG said:
i've gotten the best times by holding the rpm at around 1000-1200rpm.

I've only treid it at 1800 (over whcih the brakes get overwhelmed) and at idle, which idle comes out tops at. maybe i shoudl try it at 1000 rpm.......

btw.. all my comments are based on the good old fashioned way of measuring acceleration:

the good old ass.

tried it. all of it. i seem to get the best launch from @1000rpm brake stand. ran it up to 3k, wouldnt go any higher, backend went sideways then caught and went. fun. dude here told me that my best launch is going to come from a little higher in the power band then from idle because of the gutted cats. had fun figureing it out.