Best Option For Replacing A Trans In A Fox For Cheap???

stockish91vert

Apr 13, 2015
Hey Guys, I have my 1991 Foxbody 5.0 Convertible and it has the old worn out 148000 mile AOD and it slips and is missing overdrive. Should I swap a T5 from a wrecked car along with the parts or get the AOD rebuilt with better torque converter, shift kit, etc? I'm looking for the cheapest and most reliable option and I can't decide. I'm am a HighSchool student and don't really have money falling out of my a**! Thanks Guys

• Sponsors (?)

They'll have a set price if you buy from a business, but you'll have a better chance of getting a decent unit. Buying from an individual can be cheaper, but you have less of a chance of getting a decent piece. salvage yards tend to have warranties with the parts they sell, so that's a good safety net.

Reactions: 1 users
I think a safe budget would be anywhere from 500-1000 dollars and yes I could probably do it myself because for my age I am pretty mechanically inclined so I could more then likely do it but I am looking at cost and reliability.

If you're really wanting a T5 then I guess now would be the time to do it. There are many auto to T5 swap threads and if you could get all the parts necessary for the swap within your budget then I don't see why you shouldn't look into it. I've never done the swap so I'm not even sure how much it'd cost with buying a "good" used T5, used pedal assembly w/ clutch MC, new clutch cable, firewall adj w/ new quadrant, new clutch and pressure plate package, pilot bearing, throw out bearing, possibly a new shifter, modify/replace center console for new shifter?? Not sure if the drive shaft needs to be replaced as well. Lots of down time for your vehicle too.

i sold everything other than a clutch when i switched to a C4 and i think it was something like 500 bucks i sold everything for. its def cheaper to switch to a T5 over having an AOD rebuilt. when i had my 95 AODE rebuilt it was like 2500 to have a shop do it.

This is a tough one. Last time I had an auto trans rebuilt was around 1999. It was a chevy 700r4 and a turn key job cost me $1300 bucks. I imagine nowadays it's twice that if you're lucky. The problem with doing the swap is you don't know what you're getting with the trans if you buy from a stranger, and you may still need to get the T5 rebuilt. But as mentioned, if you want to swap, now is the time. If money is the absolute deciding point here and you just need the car going again, I'll have to agree with hoopty. Salvage yards have waranties, and will stand behind what they sell you. Individuals, not so much.

Btw, a quick search turned this up. Fresh rebuilt with a converter for under a grand, with no core required. I'd call that cheap. Summit racing doesn't have one under 1500..just a thought.

Ford AOD Transmission Stock Factory No Core Fee | eBay

Reactions: 1 user
I'd start searching for parts and get the t5 swap over with.
While aod's can be quick, a performance version is expensive,so is a rebuild, then you have about $500 in a good converter, $100 in a shift kit, $100+ in fluid.
If you commit to the rebuilt aod route, that will probably be the end of your t5 dreams.

No matter how you slice it, the money is going to add up. The t5 will cost a few more bucks. But when you feel how much quicker and more fun the car is, it will be worth it. You next issue will be how fast you ruin tires, especially if you are in high school.

A t5 swap can be done fairly cheap, we've done 2 in the family, the main thing is that you buy a trans that works properly.

Y'all are going balls deep on his budget. Sounds like he needs to keep it rolling on a minimal budget. Im still siding with replacing the aod with a JY unit

I would say the same thing if he didn't say his max for the budget was a $1000.
It can be done for that with some savvy shopping.
The trans should soak up about $500, clutch $200, which leaves $300 for the rest.
Will he go over $1000? Probably, but not by that much if he finds some deals.

I would say the same thing if he didn't say his max for the budget was a $1000.
It can be done for that with some savvy shopping.
The trans should soak up about $500, clutch $200, which leaves $300 for the rest.
Will he go over $1000? Probably, but not by that much if he finds some deals.
I don't disagree with you at all. Im just having flashbacks to my highschool days when I had my '90 GT and what I was and was not able to do, especially since it's his only car and he doesn't have the luxury of having it on jack stands for an extended period.

especially since it's his only car and he doesn't have the luxury of having it on jack stands for an extended period.

I'll wait for the OP to chime in on down time and alternate transportation. Besides school is either already out or very very close to it and he could put some long hours into the swap to make it go quickly. I know I had a lot of time on my hands and lots of energy back in those days and a task like this was easy as cake and fun to do. Now it takes 2 weeks to install a wideband O2 because it's all about working 50 hrs p/wk, changing diapers and coordinating play dates and keeping an eye on those little fockers to keep them from burning the house down or playing doctor. :eek: