Best shifting method?

BurningRubber

10 Year Member
Dec 6, 2004
Allright, the Mustang is my first 5 speed car that I have owned... But, I often drive a little 5 speed beater truck around, and can shift the crap out of that thing... but I cant seem to get the hang of it in the Mustang.

My shifts are always slow, cause im scared im gonna miss a gear. Any tips or anything on how to get fast shifts without worrying about grinding or missing? I dont wanna go tear the car up practicing, and I dont want to look like an ass if I run it at the track... lol.

I would like to be able to get it so I can at least squeek 3rd gear, and be able to throw a quick shift, or occasional powershift (like at the track).

Would a short throw shifter help me out alot? The stock one isnt bad, but it is kinda clumsy at times.

Any tips are appreciated...:nice:

• Sponsors (?)

get a shifter, works wonders. the only thing we can tell you is practice, practice, practice.
But remember you dont have to power shift to get good times.

02GTKB said:
get a shifter, works wonders. the only thing we can tell you is practice, practice, practice.
But remember you dont have to power shift to get good times.
....nope, adding a Kenne Bell under the hood worked wonders for you in that dept. Better than any form of "power shifting" could have. :D

Yeah the Tri-Ax was my first mod. It makes a huge diffrence. It puts it in third for you so no more searching around for it. The stock shifter was horrible felt like I was driving a truck instead of a sports car.

MGW here.

I have yet to miss a shift EVER since installing it. Before with the stock shifting i would miss 3rd gear all the time by hitting the middle of the gate. With the MGW, just slam the shifter up and it goes right into 3rd

urban96 said:
with a pro 5.0 you can put some muscle into your shifts

damm right you can, Ive almost broken a finger many times, and made my wrist sore on one super muscled shift. Lightning quick. Its been in my car for 8 years and Im happy with it, my trans still shifts great too.

My advice is sit in the car with it off(after you've had some time driving your car) . Practice rowing through the gears while working the clutch as if the cart were running. Start slow, work your way faster, and faster, and faster....
This takes practice, no other way around it.
Just be advised you can shift alot harder into 3rd gear then you want to in 2nd gear(tire spin)