Best solvent for parts washer?

• Sponsors (?)

why isnt it legal??? I just bought some at Kragen's

:shrug:

If it is the stuff you have to water down, just take it back as it is a waste of money. If it is a true parts cleaning solvent, what is the name of it, I want to check that out!!!

The rest of you, you just don't get it--we live in California, we don't get the good stuff anymore. Just wait, our lovely restrictions are coming your way soon....

The rest of you, you just don't get it--we live in California, we don't get the good stuff anymore. Just wait, our lovely restrictions are coming your way soon....

One of the reasons I didn't mind moving away from the land of fruits and nuts.

I wouldn't use it in a parts washer but if you can find a fluid called b52, it is no joke.

If you leave an-fittings in it for 4-5 hours, it will pull the anodized color off.

Well, guys, the stuff I have right now is labeled as "Paint Thinner (Mineral Spirits)" and is listed as being used to clean up paint brushes and guns. I know in the past it was also labeled as laquer thinner, but was used for cleanup rather than mixing paint. I have been using it for 20 years, so I know it works. Acts and smells like Safety-Kleen solvent, but I believe it has a slightly lower flashpoint and is much cheaper.

why isnt it legal??? I just bought some at Kragen's

:shrug:

Castrol "Super Clean" has been illegal for sale in California for well over a year. If you know of a Kragen that didn't get the memo, go pick up a few gallons for me and I'll drive over and pay you for them. There are a lot of "degreasers" out there that say something like purple passion or purple power or purple blah blah blah on them but they aren't Castrol and they sure don't work like Super Clean.

BTW, it is now illegal because Castrol claimed it was biodegradable but they found out it wasn't and suspended sale in our lovely state because of the lie. I went to different store when I found out and they wouldn't even sell the stock on hand, it was shipped back to Castrol. They told us if they sold it they would get a HUGE fine if anyone found out.

kerosene

Use kerosene. It's cheap, you can even get it from the pump - a gas station style pump - at some places. It doesn't evaporate too quickly and the fumes aren't so nasty. It works great for dissolving grease and cleaning parts.

I buy it 5 gallons at a time at a local gas station.

Castrol "Super Clean" has been illegal for sale in California for well over a year. If you know of a Kragen that didn't get the memo, go pick up a few gallons for me and I'll drive over and pay you for them. There are a lot of "degreasers" out there that say something like purple passion or purple power or purple blah blah blah on them but they aren't Castrol and they sure don't work like Super Clean.

BTW, it is now illegal because Castrol claimed it was biodegradable but they found out it wasn't and suspended sale in our lovely state because of the lie. I went to different store when I found out and they wouldn't even sell the stock on hand, it was shipped back to Castrol. They told us if they sold it they would get a HUGE fine if anyone found out.

Castrol stopped making this over two years ago. Some states were allowed to sell off left over stock. Check your container closely, something similar ( but not as good) is still made by another company, the label just says Super Clean, with out the word Castrol on it.

oops, my bad, this is what i got. Im no chemist, but i compared the smell, and the way it works(and burns my skin) and its pretty damn close:D
View attachment 339157
View attachment 339159

I also found a new gallon in my garage too :nice:

Interesting... I'll have to go look for it. I hope I can find some. Some jackass parked their van in our driveway, which is still quite new looking and deposited some oil from his motor onto our nice, formerly clean, concreate. Some good degreaser and then some cement cleaning solution plus a pressure washer should do it.