Best way to check for a vacuum leak

• Sponsors (?)

PonyboyIsaac:

You have to do this very carefully. Legal disclaimer: I take no responsibility for fire, loss, damage, injury of any kind for using or mis-using this leak detection method. Use it at your own risk.

Get some rubber tube (get some from Lowe's or Home Depot), 3/16" or 1/4" ID should work OK. Take your propane torch head and take the larger diameter flame generator off the brass supply tube. You should be left with a valve portion with a short piece of tubing. Connect the rubber tube to the metal tube and make sure it is a tight fit (no leaks). Connect the valve portion to a propane cylinder.

With your car parked away from the house/garage and on a level surface, you are ready to start looking for leaks. Raise the hood, start the engine. When the idle has steadied, open the propane valve JUST A LITTLE and direct the open end of the hose along the joints where you suspect a leak: manifold to heads, throttle body to upper manifold, upper to lower manifold, EGR to upper manifold, etc. Check anywhere there is a seam and you can get the hose close to it. If there is a vacuum leak, the propane will be drawn in and the engine speed will increase.

Good luck and be careful.

Chris

i was told at the dyno i'm running lean at idle, the dude at the dynoshop said it was most likely my chip so we called up kenne bell and they said it was most likely a vacuum leak, i doubt that but who knows, i'll try anything before getting a new chip burned. thanks for the replys guys, i'll keep u posted on what happens.