Biggest Tire for 05-06 GT's?

RedCoupe92

Banned
Apr 26, 2005
I am looking at ordering a new 06 GT with the 17's, I don't want 18's, but I don't like the factory tires. I know this has probably been asked a million times already, but what is the biggest/widest tire that will fit front and rear without rubbing anything. I want to stagger the tire sizes anyway, so it's not a real big issue if the fronts are smaller than the rear. I know the height needs to remain close to the same, which is about 27.25" tall, but what width will fit without rubbing anything? I don't want to mess up a brand new car, plus once I order it, I will go ahead and order my tires at the same time.

• Sponsors (?)

They're probably not the largest possible, but myself and a few others on this board have this set-up:

Front - 19x9, 275/35-19
Rear - 19x10, 295/35-19

No rubbing at all. Front tires are a little shorter, but rears are close. Not much selection so far with the larger overall diameter.

View attachment 499453

bjboudre said:
What kind of wheels are those?
looks like the ROH DRIFT Rs
edit: yep, heres the post that confirms it....
RandyB said:
I went with the H&R OE Sport Springs for my '06 GT coupe. The drop is supposed to be 1" for the front and .75" for the rear. I'm getting magnesium colored ROH Drift Rs as well (19x9/19x10).

Thanks bigcat.

I like the springs just fine. I had Eibachs on another Mustang ('93 LX coupe) and '01 Bullitt springs on my previous '98 Cobra to give my spring history. I feel like the Eibachs drop the new stang a little bit more than I wanted for myself, but they sure look nice. I was concerned about giving up too much ride quality and ground clearance, but from the Eibach owners we have here that doesn't seem to be a problem. The 19" wheels and tires did more for ride quality than the springs, but I can live with it for the look and grip. Hope that helps. I really like the stance I ended up with on my GT - I didn't want it too low visually. I wanted it to look as if it could have come that way from Ford.

I've been looking at this question. On the Tire Rack site, they have various combos but recommend 255/35's on a 20 inch rim out front and 275/35's out back. Both roughly equate to the rolling radious of the 235/55 x 17.

Saleen use 20 inch rims and they fit 275/35's all round and it looks like they use 9 inch rims with the option of a 10 inch rim at the back.

I am putting 20x9s on the front and 20x10.5 on the back, with 275/35/20 on the front and 315/35/20 on the rear. I saw a car with this exact setup and everything fit perfect, but the wheels have custom offsets too.

Widest 17" tires

RedCoupe92: You'll see that going with alternative wheels in 17" is very rare... can't say I've seen it yet. However don't lose heart, you are looking down the right path. 60's 70's ran 14" and 15" so a step to 17" is a significant one already. The look of 18"-20+" is new millenium stuff and hardly retro. My 06 GT will be at the dealer within a day or two. I'll be using Eibach Pro (probably just in the rear to correct what Ford has missed the boat on.) I have been researching options in 17" with correct backspacing etc and will be test fitting rims shortly. When done I'll let you in on all my secrets. Pics will follow. Don't get me wrong, you guys with 18" and up, you have some wonderful/awesome setups; just a bit too modern day era for the retro look I am working to go after. ...Jim

i went with 18s and i think im retro looking! 18x10 back 18x8 front. i wish i could slap 18x10s on the front tho, i saw a roush mustang which had 10s all around, but it prob had some kind of different front suspension.

IMG_0596.jpg

IMG_0597.jpg

IMG_0617.jpg

IMG_0601.jpg

IMG_0622.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0596.jpg
    IMG_0596.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_0597.jpg
    IMG_0597.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 1,083
  • IMG_0617.jpg
    IMG_0617.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_0601.jpg
    IMG_0601.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_0622.jpg
    IMG_0622.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 178
Yes indeed you are very retro!

Hey Official_Style, yup, you have the retro look; you did select vintage looking rims (AR TorqueThrust) and in gray spoke no less. Very, very nice look; I'm looking into the AR 200s, gray spoke but the last time I checked there were only available in 15" and 17". (I'll check again tonight). If you aren't sure what the gray center 200s looks like take a look at the AR web site. Thanks for all the pics, my 06 black GT 5-speed w/parchment, spoiler delete is supposed to be at the dealer tomorrow or the next day. Doesn't look like you lowered any yet; do you plan to. I'm gonna put the rear ProKit and BMR adj panhard on the day I pick up the car. ...may not do the front.

Anyhow congrats on the awesome look you have achieved and I was wrong... you can look fully retro in 18's... enjoy and thanks, Jim