Blown Head Gasket Pics

BurningRubber

10 Year Member
Dec 6, 2004
These are off my buddies 3.8 Mustang, right around 100k on the engine. Story is, he was driving home from work and saw an eruption of smoke coming from his exhaust, so he pulled it over, shut it down and towed it home. A week or so later he had the time to pull the heads off, and heres what we found...

One side...
508419_78_full.jpg

Other side, which was pretty nasty...
508419_79_full.jpg

After the new HG's, before tourqing the head down.
508419_77_full.jpg

He wasnt too happy about it, and now he knows why some people dont like 3.8's due to their nature of blowing the HG's. He should have it back together in a few days, he's never done any engine work before and he's doing 90% of it himself with a little help.

Thought you guys might enjoy some carnage pics!!

• Sponsors (?)

You want to talk about carnage?

Anyone get Hot Rod magazine?

Latest issue has pictures of a 302 that they were dynoing when a valve broke. The valve head shattered a piston, the con rod punched out the side of the block, and things went downhill from there. Never seen so many trashed parts in one engine!

Skymarshal said:
You want to talk about carnage?

Anyone get Hot Rod magazine?

Latest issue has pictures of a 302 that they were dynoing when a valve broke. The valve head shattered a piston, the con rod punched out the side of the block, and things went downhill from there. Never seen so many trashed parts in one engine!

Daaaaayum... might have to make a point to pick that issue up...:eek:

I just did that on my car. I have 93K on it and mine was shaking and running rough. Quite an experience. The work was basically 3-4 hours to tear it down and about 6 to put back together. While tearing it down we went through 5 or 6 craftsman 15mm sockets. What a PITA! Definitely something I would not want to do again.

Just a little update... its all back together, but he hit a deer last night. Which was only a few hours after it was running again...:notnice: I think the car wants to commit suicide. The damage isnt horribly noticable, but he does need a new bumper, hood, and front fender. Runs great though, he was back to beating the crap out of it as usual and it didnt miss a beat.

BurningRubber said:
Just a little update... its all back together, but he hit a deer last night. Which was only a few hours after it was running again...:notnice: I think the car wants to commit suicide. The damage isnt horribly noticable, but he does need a new bumper, hood, and front fender. Runs great though, he was back to beating the crap out of it as usual and it didnt miss a beat.

Man, talk about timing. So when will you be updating us with pics of the damage the deer did? ;)

FivePointStang said:
Man, talk about timing. So when will you be updating us with pics of the damage the deer did? ;)

Ill have to see if he'll let me take a pic of that. Its not terrible, but you can tell it happened. It knocked the bumper cover down a few inches, busted a headlight lense, crooked a fender, and bent the hood in one spot. They arent all glaring, but together you know he smacked something. Oh, and the deer took his pony too..:shrug: