BMW M6 vs 5.0

Aliate X

May 9, 2005
Rockland NY
Yup.

Well anyways Im crusing up rt.59 on the way home from washing my car and taking some pictures. I was messing around with like a 3 series bmw or something, I was talking to the kid then I see this M6 pull up behind me in the lane next to me, I said to the kid

"how do ya think Ill do vs an M6 haha"

He says, "Hell rip you man, that things got a ton of power"

I said "well see!"

Anyways, so the guy pulls up and he wants to mess around in traffic, we get to a light

I say, "let traffic get ahead a bit" He starts laughing

He says, "You know this is an M6 right? Its got 12 cylinders"

I said, "I know what an M6 is"

Well we didnt get a chance to go because too much traffic but then the car gods bless me with a red light and no traffic, like moses parted traffic or something.

I said "This is where my car does good"

He says, "Oh yeah? Well see about that"

I flip the linelock and heat up the tires just a little bit, other lane of traffic across from us gets the green so I know were up next, I bring the rpms up to 3k, light goes green and I slip it just perfect (MT ET radials).......

Absolute destruction. I instantly put about 2 cars on him and held him back there until I let off.

We decide to go from a roll, he was saying some excuses couldnt hear him over the roar of a V8 :) . So anyways, heres the roll, Im thinking to myself this car is going to kill me. He nails it then I nail it, pretty even until I pull about 1/2 car on him. I was almost laughing out of joy.

We hit another light where it is the PERFECT race light, 2 lanes merge into one, so somebody has to win or let off. Light goes green, same thing. I kill him off the line, he does a little better this time, but I got him by about a car and continued to pull.

We pull into a gas station and I said man thats a ****ing nice car, he was like thanks. Him and his friend gave me so much respect, like asking me how old I was and asking about the car, which I felt was well deserved. These guys were 30 and obviously had some money because he was telling me :

"your lucky I didnt have my twin turbo porsche or ferrari!"

I reply "Your lucky I didnt spray you!" He laughed and asked some more questions about the car.

So as further proof since I didnt have my video camera I snapped pics as he was leaving the lot to give my story some validity.

After we did the first dig race, when I was slowing down a jeep passed by cheering me on, I guess nothing like watching an old school home built V8 anniliate the flagship of german technology. Heh.

Its a ****ing nice car, and Id take one any day of the week, but the ole five oh would always hold a spot in the garage :)

IMG_0620.jpg

IMG_0621.jpg

IMG_0622.jpg

IMG_0623.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0620.jpg
    IMG_0620.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_0621.jpg
    IMG_0621.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_0622.jpg
    IMG_0622.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0623.jpg
    IMG_0623.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 135
  • Sponsors (?)

It's a 10 cylinder, not a 12. On the highway, you wouldn't of stood a chance. Those cars handle like an F-16 also.

Standard Engine 5.0L V10
Standard Transmission 7 Speed Manual
Cylinders10
Horsepower 500@7750
Torque 383@6100

MSRP: $98,600

The Seven-Speed SMG Gearbox: Shifting Gears like in Formula 1

To provide perfect results, the high-speed engine concept must be combined with an appropriate transmission. This is the only way to convert the power coming from the engine into optimum momentum on the road by means of the right - short - overall transmission ratio.

BMW's Sequential M Gearbox (SMG) with seven speeds is well suited to conveying the power of the V10 to the drive wheels. BMW M is the first manufacturer to offer such a sequential gearbox with seven gears and Drivelogic, which provides both a manual gearshift with extremely fast shift times as well as an automatic transmission function for cruising comfortably in style.

In technical terms, the gearbox is conceived for torque of up to 405 lb-ft and engine speeds of up to 8,500 rpm. In other words, it offers adequate reserves for consistent reliability throughout the car's complete running life, with additional back-up being provided by a separate oil cooler for the high-performance transmission.

Looked up the 1/4 mile time, 12.5@114, so is it really that hard to fathom that a h/c/i 5.0 with good gearing pulled 1/4 car on one from a roll? Either way, I absolutly anniliated him both times we raced from a stop.

In all honesty Im really shocked you beat him. I have the same package as you and im pretty sure I couldnt beat an m6. Its a v10 with 500 horses. Yes I Know its heavier but that engine is a lot stronger. At any rate congrads on the kill.

Ps. Did you always have the tko trans in your car with the trickflow package? I have the trickflow package and it jus feels like the gear ratios on the t5 are really poorly suited to the power curve of the enging. I was wondering if you noticed this and if the tremec trans improved this.

In all honesty Im really shocked you beat him. I have the same package as you and im pretty sure I couldnt beat an m6. Its a v10 with 500 horses. Yes I Know its heavier but that engine is a lot stronger. At any rate congrads on the kill.

Ps. Did you always have the tko trans in your car with the trickflow package? I have the trickflow package and it jus feels like the gear ratios on the t5 are really poorly suited to the power curve of the enging. I was wondering if you noticed this and if the tremec trans improved this.

Yeah theres a good difference in the T-5 and TKO ratios, what I noticed the most was that 3rd and 4th are much closer somehow....this is usually where I pull away from people lol. 3rd to 4th is when I pulled the 1/2 car on the M6. From 3rd to 4th the RPMs drop very little compared to my old T-5.

And about the races from a stop, once again it was no contest, so even if the roll race was of his driver error or something, he would have never gotten me from a stop.

i think with a better driver in that M6 you wouldn't of been so lucky...sorry. :notnice:

Lucky? Lucky that I built my car to go from a stop and he tried to beat me at my game with a store bought car?

He was on a regular tire, I was on a MT ET radial. Is that my fault or his? Yes I know its not his race car and he packs it with hot girls etc. But he underestimated me and got his ass handed to him. Too bad for him. Once again I wouldnt have cared if he beat me from a roll because I still got the best out of 3, but instead I beat him up from a roll as well....probably his bad driving skills.

If.. and... but.... who gives a damn, what happened, happened.

Those cars make lots of power, but are still soft down low, don't have a suspension setup for launching, and combine this with the weight... guess what.

There is a lot more to drag racing than horsepower, maby if more people relized this we would see more decent ET's.