Boosted's Project For The Day Thread

What's your build plan for the 351 going to be?

Cast steel Scat crank 3.85" stroke, stock resized W rods with ARP bolts, forged Mahle .030 flat top pistons.. 393 cubic inches. Ed Curtis custom cam, haven't decided on heads yet. Probably will use my 2.02 eddy rpms. Budget stroker.

Reactions: 4 users
  • Sponsors (?)

I know, right? Who would have thought it could be done so cheaply?

Of course, this places my status way up in the clouds now. Excuse me, my servant is digging holes in the wrong place again....I must attend to this.
No status aficionado would admit to such low class furnishings. I suggest you loudly let your help go so everyone knows they made the gravest of mistakes and this behaviour will not be tolerated. Perhaps @Noobz347 can suggest a man servant that will be more fitting of a true status aficionado.

Reactions: 1 user
Those were electrical knock-out seals.... lol

I'm glad it came out easily, whatever it was. Looking at it I was afraid he'd rammed some random chunk of steel in the opening and ruined the fit.:eek:

The guy was real nice, but had absolutely NO clue what he was doing. Zero.

Ok, so I've been scratching around planning. I really DON'T want to have to try to match the paint on my calypso car.. it has some crazy prizm or pearl in the clear I don't think I can reproduce.. plus it's flawless, so why change it, right? Well, everyone says a 351w won't fit under a stock hood. I'm going to make it fit. I measured my 351 block against a 302 and the W is exactly 1.125 inches taller from centerline of crank to the top of the china wall the intake sits in. The solid drop mounts lmr sells (like the ones i had but sold to @stykthyn ) will give me 1.75 extra inches of room. I'm hoping i can squeeze a vic jr and low pro elbow in there. That's gotta be shorter than my current intake. So, that's my plan. So far. Anything I need to look out for with the dropped mounts, Clay? I.E. clearance issues on the rack or pan, etc?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Ok, so I've been scratching around planning. I really DON'T want to have to try to match the paint on my calypso car.. it has some crazy prizm or pearl in the clear I don't think I can reproduce.. plus it's flawless, so why change it, right? Well, everyone says a 351w won't fit under a stock hood. I'm going to make it fit. I measured my 351 block against a 302 and the W is exactly 1.125 inches taller from centerline of crank to the top of the china wall the intake sits in. The solid drop mounts lmr sells (like the ones i had but sold to @stykthyn ) will give me 1.75 extra inches of room. I'm hoping i can squeeze a vic jr and low pro elbow in there. That's gotta be shorter than my current intake. So, that's my plan. So far. Anything I need to look out for with the dropped mounts, Clay? I.E. clearance issues on the rack or pan, etc?
There's also kmember spacers if the drop mounts aren't enough. I have heard of/seen Windsor's under a stock hood before so it's definitely within the realm of possibilities.

I am running the stock Rack and pan. No issues. I thought was going to need to possibly shim it, but wasn't necessary.

Reactions: 1 user
There used to be a write up in the stickies on needed parts to make a 351 fit. Not sure if it's still there. I'm jelly. I almost went that direction myself a few years ago. Wish I had.

Anywho, are you going to put your turbo on this engine set up, or step away from boost?

I'm thinking I'm going to stick with the turbo unless it proves to be too much of a pita to make the piping work. 15 years ago I would have sat in the shop and fabbed an entire hotside like Collin did, but quite frankly.. My enthusiasm has dwindled. I think it should fit though.

PS, digging the little creeper p*ssy.

I'm sorry, what??

I never noticed! That was my fault, wasn't it? Back when I was trying to load pictures of Doby?

Nah, way before that. Noobz and I went back and forth over whether it was the site's fault or my phone.. and he didn't like being told it was his fault.. lol.

Fwiw, this is the ONLY site I've ever had pics load sideways on...

Nah, way before that. Noobz and I went back and forth over whether it was the site's fault or my phone.. and he didn't like being told it was his fault.. lol.

Fwiw, this is the ONLY site I've ever had pics load sideways on...

Also had that issue the other day and he fixed it for me. Couldnt get one to load straight no matter how I oriented it on my phone first, made no difference. That being said, I never noticed the cat until the other day.

Welp, I finally got over my disgust and tore down the turd-bo car. I found a couple head gaskets that while not popped, looked like they weren't sealed properly. This thing has been mysteriously losing coolant and has suddenly started overheating ridiculously, so finally took it apart. I've never been happy with the setup and congestion in the engine bay with all of the piping, hoses, and wiring there above and beyond what came in it for on Ford. I'm bound and determined to clean it up. Possibly a wire tuck, at the bare minimum a clean slate do-over. I simply can't stand looking at it the way it was.
IMG_0540.JPG

Heck, the compressor housing is even oxidizing..ugh.
You can see how bad it is, even with the turbo piping and upper plenum removed. If I had power run to the shop so I could weld, I'd consider smoothing the bay. I may still end up doing that. The more I look at it, the more I want to change.

My number one shop hand helping out.
IMG_0562.JPG

Heads off. Waiting on parts. Might do some cleaning tomorrow. I really want to repaint the bay, but like I said, smooth? Tuck? I contemplate that, then think, k member?? How deep is the rabbit hole? We are already throwing away the distributor. May as well get funky, right?:shrug:

Torn down.. Ta da!
IMG_0572.JPG

Yeah, I know. Not really that big a deal, but I've been so put out by this thing I've been avoiding this for months, so I'm glad to have got the ball rolling again..

And if that's not busy enough, I swapped out the base GT steering wheel in my new car for a leather premium wheel today! I like it. Heck of a lot cheaper than the premium package!
IMG_0574.JPG

I think I'm gonna go vacuum it out..

Reactions: 3 users