borrowed friends 97 cobra

00GTpony

Mar 10, 2007
today i borrowed my friends 97 cobra.. other then a catback it is completely stock... and i honeslty feel it isnt as fast as my car.... could this be true, or its in my head.

• Sponsors (?)

His should be slightly faster(hp is 305 right? Someone will chime in) but it's not going to be a dramatic difference with your more mods to his only cat back mod. Race him at the tracks and see what happens. Your 4.10's might save you.

today i borrowed my friends 97 cobra.. other then a catback it is completely stock... and i honeslty feel it isnt as fast as my car.... could this be true, or its in my head.
It's not in your head. Stock for stock, the '96-'98 Cobra is the quicker car, no doubt, but your current host of bolt on's are probably what's closing the gap.

That being said, 4V's love to rev and as Benny stated, those 3.27's are really hindering it's performance. Combine the car with those same bolt on's on your PI headed 2V and you would REALLY see a difference!

My vote goes to the powerband being the difference.

PI GT's have their torque come on sooner, so it plants you into the seat quicker. The DOHC has it's torque higher in the RPM range and it comes on smoother.

Same reason why 5.0's feel quicker than 4.6's....all about when the torque comes in

PI GT's have their torque come on sooner, so it plants you into the seat quicker. The DOHC has it's torque higher in the RPM range and it comes on smoother.

Same reason why 5.0's feel quicker than 4.6's....all about when the torque comes in

Good point. Adding on to the DOHC having torque higer in the RPM range, the 4v have a higher redline than the 2v as well. Thats the biggest diff i notice between driving my GT n my friends MACH 1.

i drove a bolt on 2002 GT (intake/catback) and my car felt faster since i get the torque earlier - stall converter - and my car is louder. That car needs to wind out a lil bit more and was quieter. Was still faster than my car with the same driver most likely tho

+1. With that and the gears, that is what will make it feel faster.

Yep, this is it:nice:

They are both pretty close in quarter mile performance, with the edge going to the DOHC.

my old man has a 96 cobra convert and i have always wondered what would run the other. although mine is no longer stock. when it was stock it seemed faster because of what was said above. the 00 GT seemed to set you back sooner. but when in the cobra you dont realize it but you are doing 65 in 2nd in a flash!

triple black '96 cobra with 13,000 miles on it! POOR THING!

both are quick cars...