Building a coupe drag car...Stick or automatic?

Killer50stang

May 11, 2004
We all love stick over automatic, but in my experience automatic is the way to go when trying to make a good time down the track. Just wanted to shed some light on this one as I'm going to be building a Coupe for drag, but will probably make it streetable. What would you do?

Jason

• Sponsors (?)

Depends on what class and what division you are gonna run. For instance the NMRA Real Street class must use a manual. Now if it is just a local dragstrip and is gonna just be a strip car then I woud go auto.

Oh,and to answer your question,go with the auto.

Reverse pattern,full manual with a trans break and a proper sized stall converter.

If you dont plan on bracket racing ALOT or run both the 1/4 and 1/8,I would say go with a C4/C6 (TH400,but thats a little more expensive).

Otherwise,Powerglide....

Pro Shifted 5-speed...

Cant beat slamming gears down the track, and these trannies are used in some fast track cars. If you havent driven one, you dont know what your missing...

Unless your a hardcore racer looking to win brackets or championships, I think the stick will be much more fun. Personally Id rather Drive the car down the track, then go for the ride, even if its a tenth or so slower. Something about stabbing the clutch, hitting the next gear and getting compliments on my driving that I would never trade for that extra edge going down the track...

In the end its up to you, but personally, you wont see this guy ever running an auto car! If it comes to it, Ill just run a Real Street 9 second car and have my fun!

25thmustang said:
Pro Shifted 5-speed...

Cant beat slamming gears down the track, and these trannies are used in some fast track cars. If you havent driven one, you dont know what your missing...

Unless your a hardcore racer looking to win brackets or championships, I think the stick will be much more fun. Personally Id rather Drive the car down the track, then go for the ride, even if its a tenth or so slower. Something about stabbing the clutch, hitting the next gear and getting compliments on my driving that I would never trade for that extra edge going down the track...

In the end its up to you, but personally, you wont see this guy ever running an auto car! If it comes to it, Ill just run a Real Street 9 second car and have my fun!

+1

Well, I'll probably be using it for drag most of the time. I don't plan on running brackets either, but won't mind winner a few trophies here and there. I will probably drive in on street every now and then, so it won't just be a strip car. Just something to have some fun it, doesn't matter if I become a professional drag racer.

Jason

Well to just become a pro racer takes a lot of work, time and money... Id say build the car for a class. Its a lot more fun, you dont have to go all out, and you can run events if they come your way. My dad built his 91 for NMRAs Factory Stock class. Car was running low low 12s 100% streetable. He didnt spend a lot of money on it, and it was an extremely fun street car. He has since done more to it, and got it into the low 12s on Drag Radials.

Id say jump on some of the NMRA or FFW sites, look at some classes and design a combo for that. Build something you want, and the rules might help dictate which tranny to throw in!

auto is the way to go for an all out strip car but if you are someone who enjoys driving...manual is the way to go. i get bored driving automatics regaurdless of how fast it is(within reason). i couldnt give up feathering the clutch at 30mph in 2nd lighting the tires up and launching like a mofo. its just too much damn fun

25thmustang said:
Well to just become a pro racer takes a lot of work, time and money... Id say build the car for a class. Its a lot more fun, you dont have to go all out, and you can run events if they come your way. My dad built his 91 for NMRAs Factory Stock class. Car was running low low 12s 100% streetable. He didnt spend a lot of money on it, and it was an extremely fun street car. He has since done more to it, and got it into the low 12s on Drag Radials.

Id say jump on some of the NMRA or FFW sites, look at some classes and design a combo for that. Build something you want, and the rules might help dictate which tranny to throw in!

Exactly. First thing is I have to finish up my other project and then get to this one. Funny thing is I have many mustangs pre-built all in my head...:SNSign: