Busted Exhaust Gasket

jjguitar

Feb 23, 2003
My 2001 V6 Mustang's exhaust sounded a lot louder than usuall last nite. I opened the hood this morning and started the engine and the exhaust is noticibly louder only in the engine compartment, passenger side. I'm hoping it is just a busted gasket where the headers connect to the main exhaust pipe. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem, or could it possibly be a cracked pipe resulting from the driping ac condensation?

• Sponsors (?)

AH-HAH!!!!

The ex-wife's '02 Stang just had the exact same thing happen last week. I too thought it was the gasket or doughnut.
Took it to a local muffler shop and as soon as the guy saw it was a V-6 he said "I'll bet the head pipe is completely broken".
It was, just about two inches below the O2 sensor. Not just cracked, but busted in two pieces. The guy said it's from the water dripping down from the A/C evaporator coil drain. It continuously drips onto the same spot when parked. He also said that just about every V-6 he's seen has done this.
The guy welded it back together. Cost was 20.00.

I have an idea. I'm going to find a 90* barbed nipple. like a vacuum nipple, that fits in the hole then run a rubber tube down and away from the pipe. That should stop the dripping. Once I get it set up I'll post it and let you know what parts to get.