BUYING A 08 TOYOTA TUNDRA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've driven on roads like that, and lived on one for a good part of my life. You definietly don't dive 28 mph. All of these video tests by a manufacturer are designed to show their vehicles strength versus the competitions weekness. Take what they tell you with a grain of salt.

As far as I'm concerned, Toyota's big draw is longevity. I have a 95 4Runner with 175k miles on it. It doesn't show any signs of slowing down. If the new Tundra owener sells his truck after 4 years, I don't see the point. It's not my truck though, so enjoy.

Agreed, Toyotas are best to buy to keep for a long period of time, to only keep for 4 years I probably would have bought something else.

• Sponsors (?)

tundras look sick as hell. i love em. but i was thinking it would be good gettin an f150 or one of the super duty f-series trucks. they are extremely tough. but hey, its ur money. tundras are still good

Toyota makes great trucks. I have had my 4runner since new in 97 and it is still going. 183k on it though it does have a lifter tick(bucket and shim lifters) but I have definately gotten my use out of it. I would not hesitate to buy another toyota truck.
Kevin

Toyota makes great trucks. I have had my 4runner since new in 97 and it is still going. 183k on it though it does have a lifter tick(bucket and shim lifters) but I have definately gotten my use out of it. I would not hesitate to buy another toyota truck.
Kevin

My Local Toyota Dealer just retired it Parts Truck, it was a T100 with over 417,000 Miles! They spent alot of money building a new Building so they started using a new Tundra.

This may well get me flamed to no end, but so be it, I don't care. For me, the biggest drawback to owning a Toyota would be the shame and humiliation of walking outside every day and seeing a Japanese brand staring me in the face. Toyotas are NO MORE RELIABLE than anything else, IF the maintenance and care is kept up on your domestic vehicle. My Mustang has 128k, my mom's 1998 Malibu has 150k, her husband's (not my dad) 1991 5.0 has 150k, and their 1995 Taurus has 200k! Guess what, none of these cars has any trouble, no leaks, no slipping trannys, no blown head gaskets. This new article titled "New quality study shows Ford is second to none" http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/080407/clm057.html?.v=101 may interest some of you, but it should be no surprise, since Ford had more top-rated vehicles than Toyota last summer in the J.D. Powers ratings.

And don't try to tell me that your Toyota is an American truck.. I don't care if they melted down civil war cannons for the steel, and had the descendants of George Washington and General MacArthur build your Toyota in Valley Forge. It's still a Japanese truck.
And finally.. Toyotas are cars for idiots. I get so sick of their ads.. there's nothing unique about a Toyota, but the ads make it sound like because they have recommended sizes of tires and fake woodgrain trim panels that they are the greatest things around. They're for timid secretaries who clutch their starbucks and cell phone in high heels at the service department, not understanding the need for tire rotations and oil changes.
You may now feel free to flame me, :flame: call me an idiot, tell me about your uncle's 1985 Tempo that blew a head gasket.. oh and don't forget to tell me about your Honda that is over a million original miles. Like I care. Buy Ford.:flag:

This may well get me flamed to no end, but so be it, I don't care. For me, the biggest drawback to owning a Toyota would be the shame and humiliation of walking outside every day and seeing a Japanese brand staring me in the face. Toyotas are NO MORE RELIABLE than anything else, IF the maintenance and care is kept up on your domestic vehicle. My Mustang has 128k, my mom's 1998 Malibu has 150k, her husband's (not my dad) 1991 5.0 has 150k, and their 1995 Taurus has 200k! Guess what, none of these cars has any trouble, no leaks, no slipping trannys, no blown head gaskets. This new article titled "New quality study shows Ford is second to none" http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/080407/clm057.html?.v=101 may interest some of you, but it should be no surprise, since Ford had more top-rated vehicles than Toyota last summer in the J.D. Powers ratings.

And don't try to tell me that your Toyota is an American truck.. I don't care if they melted down civil war cannons for the steel, and had the descendants of George Washington and General MacArthur build your Toyota in Valley Forge. It's still a Japanese truck.
And finally.. Toyotas are cars for idiots. I get so sick of their ads.. there's nothing unique about a Toyota, but the ads make it sound like because they have recommended sizes of tires and fake woodgrain trim panels that they are the greatest things around. They're for timid secretaries who clutch their starbucks and cell phone in high heels at the service department, not understanding the need for tire rotations and oil changes.
You may now feel free to flame me, :flame: call me an idiot, tell me about your uncle's 1985 Tempo that blew a head gasket.. oh and don't forget to tell me about your Honda that is over a million original miles. Like I care. Buy Ford.:flag:

GOD BLESS AMERICA :flag: :flag: :flag:

+1!!!

I don't know if you've ever seen "the truth about trucks" videos. I know they are made by ford and there's some BS stuff, but if you watch the ones about frame and suspension, ignoring the Ford propaganda, its really eye opening just looking at the differences between the components. I'm not too sold on toyota trucks. Like a toyota car, they will probably last quite a while if treatly gently. Workability...I'm not totally convinced of. Case in point are the tailgates which many many people are having problems with seams separating and cracking by just loading a 4-wheeler. The C-channel frame, while not being nearly as stiff as a fully boxed frame, also has a great groove for holding road salt and promoting premature rust through. And then you got the whole camshaft mess. I'll take a Ford or Chevy with some 50 years of experience with building strong, reliable, built-to-work pickups, others can have their 0-60 times.

I'm not saying the big 3 don't have their own problems (5.4 spitting sparks plugs comes to mind) but the blind belief (bordering on some type of religious fanaticism) that Toyotas are infallible just ain't so. For every story you can give me of some Toyota going xxx,xxx miles, I can give you one of a domestic vehicle going yyy,yyy miles. Of every horror story you can give me of a domestic vehicle, I can find one of a toyota or honda. And as Toyota focuses more and more on volume, they will find the same problems that ford and gm have encountered in the past, as evidenced by some recent problems.

My job is as a claims adjuster for a finance company, reviewing claims on extended service contracts that people buy for their cars and trucks. People and dealers call me, tell me what problem they are having with their vehicles, and ask if it's covered or not. Believe me, Toyotas and Hondas break just as much as anything else. The difference is they have this magic aura of invincibility in the minds of the little people, which their commercials hype endlessly, that may have been true 25 years ago, but not today. It's all BS.

Ford has been taking drastic steps to improve quality and it is paying off, they hired the Woman that was in charge of Quality at Toyota in November 2006 and you can see from your link that Initial Quality is already equal or better. The Domestics now have to convince young kids to try to switch out of ricer type stuff which is not going to be an easy task.

this is a ford mustang forum and it amazes me when i see someone post they want to buy ugly japanese cars and trucks instead of supporting our economy and buying american.

our $300,000 cat excavator says build america with american products:nice:

it also say made in japan:lol:

i think you will get lots of miles out the toyota:nice:
i thought about one but the prices compared to a superduty just was not enough to buy the toyota truck

I have a 2008 Tundra right now as a rental and it actually rides really smooth and drives nicely. It is a nice truck, but if I was going to buy something it would be a domestic product. The Tundra is extremely ugly and dopic looking.

this is a ford mustang forum and it amazes me when i see someone post they want to buy ugly japanese cars and trucks instead of supporting our economy and buying american.

for all of you hating on the Toyota for not being made in America ... you should do your homework a little better! the truck is made in Texas! some of your friends or familys could be working there! so i would think i am supporting the economy am i not? it might be a japanese company but lots of americans and canadians work at these plants! as for the truck being ugly .. i dont think so but to each their own!

Well of coarse im a Ford guy, All Im gonna say is that with all the companies your gonna find faults and good things. Now when people say, the resell on the Toyotas hold up better, theres more than a few reasons, just remember the Ford F-series trucks is the number 1 Vehicle in the USA, That includes cars or Trucks, If they were junk they woundt be the #1, best selling vehicle, for over 25 years straight. And of coarse they dont hold there value as good, there are, many, many more on the road, so they gota sell them cheaper on used lots..

I don't know if you've ever seen "the truth about trucks" videos. I know they are made by ford and there's some BS stuff, but if you watch the ones about frame and suspension, ignoring the Ford propaganda, its really eye opening just looking at the differences between the components. I'm not too sold on toyota trucks. Like a toyota car, they will probably last quite a while if treatly gently. Workability...I'm not totally convinced of. Case in point are the tailgates which many many people are having problems with seams separating and cracking by just loading a 4-wheeler. The C-channel frame, while not being nearly as stiff as a fully boxed frame, also has a great groove for holding road salt and promoting premature rust through. And then you got the whole camshaft mess. I'll take a Ford or Chevy with some 50 years of experience with building strong, reliable, built-to-work pickups, others can have their 0-60 times.

I'm not saying the big 3 don't have their own problems (5.4 spitting sparks plugs comes to mind) but the blind belief (bordering on some type of religious fanaticism) that Toyotas are infallible just ain't so. For every story you can give me of some Toyota going xxx,xxx miles, I can give you one of a domestic vehicle going yyy,yyy miles. Of every horror story you can give me of a domestic vehicle, I can find one of a toyota or honda. And as Toyota focuses more and more on volume, they will find the same problems that ford and gm have encountered in the past, as evidenced by some recent problems.

Great post, I agree 100%

the truck is made in Texas! some of your friends or familys could be working there! so i would think i am supporting the economy am i not? it might be a japanese company but lots of americans and canadians work at these plants!

During the American Revolution, the hated British employed many people to work for them, thereby supporting the local economy. That does not make it right, or the best thing for America. Today those people who sold out are remembered as traitors. There's a bit of difference between building trucks and war, but not really... this is just economic war. Go tell the head honchos at Ford and GM that they're not in an economic war with Toyota, that it's just friendly competition, see what they say.

Status
Not open for further replies.