CAI and tuners

OHHitsKB

Jul 5, 2010
Norman, OK
I have an '08 V6 automatic I'm going to start work on soon, and one of the first parts I plan on getting is cold air. A lot of intakes say you need a tuner for them to work properly. I'm pretty new to everything about cars and I know next to nothing about tuners. Can anyone explain to a complete beginner about using a tuner/ which one to buy or give me a link to a thread about them that a beginner could understand?

• Sponsors (?)

In basic terms. You're emissions control devices "Expect" a certain amount of air/fuel mixture so when you change that ratio with more air via a CAI, then you need to compensate with more fuel and different timing curve. Tuners from the company SCT are the most popular for late model Mustangs.

Friendly as far as doing what? You can make certain adjustments with one but you will need a complete tune when adding parts. When purchasing a hand held tuner the shop should ask for a list of modifications so it can upload the proper tune before they send it to you. When you get the tuner it's cake to upload it into your car.

Okay, so as far as making adjustments for nee parts goes, its not something I'd need someone else to do if I'm still pretty new to all of this? Also, would I be in good shape if I looked for one on craigslist or ebay? I can't really afford to shell out $500 :p