Caliper getting hot???

• Sponsors (?)

The PBR calipers stop great, but they have their share of problems. The small 12mm bolts that hold the caliper to the slide pin is the culprit. Those slide pins lock up in those brackets and hang the calipers up. This girl that comes in and works for us has a 99GT and the wheels were FILTHY. Both caliper brackets were junk because they were hanging up. The pads and rotors were junk. She had no idea the brakes were shot.

Cliffnotes: Check the caliper slide pins.

WHat they said. If it's getting hot, it's dragging..most likely from the slide pins.

SN95 REAR calipers are notorious for them. You get 1 tear in the boot and water gets in and they seize. I already had to repace one of the brackets on my '03 because the pins seized in the brackets.

If you can't get the pins out then you gotta replace the brackets.

If you can take the pins out, you can clean them up, clear out the bore then slide into and replace the boots (since they most likely have a tear). If you can reinsert the pins and the move freely then you can reuse it.

A new bracket from ford might cost more than these calipers are worth. I bought a PAIR of those PBR's off Ebay for $20. They are becoming dirt cheap.

So I had the pins and the calipers checked and they said the seem fine, he said it could be the rubber brake line, he said it could be swollen inside and not allowing the fluid to go back to the booster. What do you guys think? If i step on the brake with my hands off the wheel it pulls to the oppisite side

I've experienced what you're talking about, but never with new brake lines (you installed new soft lines with the PBR's, right?).

Take the brake line off, stick it in a glass and pump the pedal. Fluid should flow like easy.

Take the caliper off and attempt to press the pistons in BY HAND. You should be able to push them in. If they are very tough, the piston bore could be pitted and seizing up.

There are a couple of issues with the brake lines. One is that they often act up only when hot. The other is that they will often allow fluid to flow away from the MC decently (because it's under pressure) but the swelling doesnt allow all of the fluid to return. This keeps the caliper partially loaded.