Cam Posistion Sensor

ElectricTang

Founding Member
May 4, 2002
Roanoke,VA
I know Ive read in here before where someone had this code and there was a discussion about it but I searched and found nothing. So anyway I went out started the car this morning to let it warm up before going to get my tires rotated. Came back out after about 5-10 minutes and the check engine light was on. So I dont have any idea if the car stuttered or anything. Went to Autozone, pulled the code and its Bank 1 Cam Posistion Sensor. What causes this? Also, couple weeks back I had cylinder 1 misfire code pop up. I was driving when the light came on and the car kinda stuttered but just felt a few seconds. It was more as if it lost power and wasnt running right. But, the car had been sitting for 2 weeks due to bad weather so Im thinking maybe some moisture in the gas or something because I havent had any problem with that since. So Im not sure if these 2 codes are related in anyway. :shrug: :D Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

if your problem is C.P.S. then its no big deal. i had the same problem, sometimes the check engine light came on sometimes not. my friend who is a mechanic took care of my problem for me. the sensor itself is a 35 dollar piece of plastic from ford. then it takes all of 30 minutes to install.

Yea i did manage to find a few old threads dealing with the cam posistion sensor and in most cases it seems that the problem went away after replacing the sensor. Had to do replace the purge flow sensor a while back because it kept making the CEL come on. Replaced it and havent seen that code since. I think Ford makes these little expensive sensors only last so long so we have to keep shelling out money to them. O well, I'll give Ford a call tomorrow and see if they have it in stock. Anybody have any input on how hard the sensor is to replace?

have you changed your plug wires lately? Does the car hesitate or stumble under acceleration/load? Those are the problems I had. I went back to factory wires and it went away......I changed out the sensor once, but I may have wasted my money on that.

Yea, I read in another thread it was under the coil pack and went and looked to see if I could see it yesterday. I can see the connector that connects to it, so I have a good idea of where it is. Theres a how to in my haynes manual so Im pretty sure I'll be able to do it myself. Its gonna hafta wait till the weekend though, got school and work all week. Leaving it and driving it wont cause any damage will it?

You won't damage anything, but Ford told me you may get harder starts since the comp doesn't know where the cam is sitting when the sensor goes out. I believe theres a certain direction that the sensor has to point when installed. If you have a manual like the Haynes or Chiltons than you should be good.

Stopped by Ford today to see about getting the sensor and the guy told me I could need 1 of 2 parts. Either a stator for 54 bucks or a syncronizer tha sells for $128. Me not knowing which one and not paying a $100 and some for something i dont need for 50 some extra for something I dont need didnt buy either. So, any of yall know which one I need?