Cams ???s re: Comp Xtreme

tygr1

Jun 16, 2004
SoCal
Hey guys...looking into cams for the old 98. Comp cams offers one grind that sounds like a nice easy swap to me. Not too radical, no need for other mods, etc. I run 3:73s now, stock exhaust w/Flow 40s, turn downs, and a drop in K&N.

I'm not going for a 1/4 mile car here...more of a ramp-rocket/canyon carver. Therefore , I would like to get the most power possible, reasonably, on the stock N.A. setup, for getting off the corners (and outrunning the occasional 'Vette snobs). Would also consider a larger duration cam along with throttle body (and whatever else) changes if the gains are extraordinary.

I'm looking at the Comp Xtreme 'XER' series, stock no. 249-106300, model no. XE 262 AH - 114. Duration at .050" = 226*/224* with lifts of .475"/.450".

I'm looking here for some experience, possible HP and TQ numbers with this combo, and/or any other comments, opinions, advice concerning HP gains through CAMSHAFT selection please (I like my 3:73s, thank you very much).

Much thanks, once again!

P.S I'm in Cal, so need to keep exhaust legal...for now...moving to Texas (San Antonio) next year :D

• Sponsors (?)

VT doesn't make cams for the 4vs.

As for your cams its a waste of time IMO. I was going to order my cams Monday till i did some research.

On a N/A set up your looking about 18-25 rwhp. But you have to buy springs, "32"valves, followers, etc... Basicaly at the end of the day you are doing a head job for something your barely going to feel. But if you want to do it FR500 cams comes with everything you need for $1300 dollars. Give you 18-20 rwhp and torque.

Sure you'll be able to rev to 7500rpm but what does it matter if you don't have the power to push.

Now if you have nitirous, blower, turbo then cams is something to look into. I'm not saying don't do it, i'm saying i wouldn't do it.

As for a 114lbs cam you'll barely hear that.