can I reliably turbo my car for around 3k?

OonDeanisS

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2002
Danbury, CT
i dont mind if i have to piece it together or buy a whole kit, but im wondering if i can get a good setup together for around 3k... any suggestions? also, does anyone know where i can find a list of all parts/hardware needed for the entire kit? i have 330 to the wheels now, looking for 8-12 lbs of boost.:shrug: thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

IMO, no.

I've seen many of those cheap kits, and they are garbage, some look great but when it comes to fitting, they don't. Most recently i saw an on3 kit and it didn't line up so badly that the repair work would have exceeded what the kit cost originally, owner is going to a pro charger instead.

Also have seen some of the homemade kits, do they work? i guess you can say that, but they sure don't look good and by the time you are done you will have spent a ton.
If you aren't an expert welder, don't even attempt it.

Buy a vortech kit and be done with it, cheaper, reliable and you will be up and running by the end of the weekend you start.

For those of us who can fab the misc. Parts and fix some of the junk that comes with eBay parts, yes you can do it.
Obviously a solid turbo is a good first start and In my case I can make/fix all the piping I would need.
I haven't ever bought an on3 or any other budget turbo kit so take this for what it's worth,from what I've read if you don't have the ability to modify/fix some of the parts that come with the kit it really isn't worth it.

Either spend the extra cash for a legit kit or go with a centri blower.
I'm sure there will be some guys with the exact opposite
Opinion

**** yeah you can. My T6 setup cost less than that. Now if you want a bolt in coated ready made kit forget it. But flipped shorty's (I bet you already have some, if not sell your LT's for some BBK shorty's) weld some vbands....any moron can make a crossover and merge pipe. Ebay wastegates 38mm and BOV...Master Power T70...Ebay Intercooler. The pricey part comes when you add things like fuel system if you dont already have a decent one..you will need a boost referenced FPR, stuff like t-band clamps. How you run your exhaust...personally an open DP sounds pretty badass on a 302. I had an open 5" DP on my 383 T6 and **** sounded killer, in boost with an open wastegate sounded so nasty!!!.....anyway....do some research and if you are not afraid to take a leap man go for it......turbo>SC/nitrous all day man

i agree with 2000xp8.

i have 3-4 friends who all went with budget turbo stuff. each car has had failures.

i spent under 2k tuned, setup and done with my si-vortech. making great power on low boost with it and zero issues so far. knock on wood.

There are a lot of good points and I can see it from both perspectives. The answer to your question, though, is yes. It is definitely possible. The best answer here is from TokyoJoe. MPT70 is the perfect size and ability for a 5.0. Absolutely capable of splitting the block, but also cheap, reliable, and should spool well given the size of the motor.

I am building a kit with almost all production parts. T- bird turbos(2). Wahlbro 255 pump. Solstice front mount intercooler, turbo headers with flange already mounted. Gotta get injectors and all the tubing and litlle stuff to finish everything. Got the 2 turbos for 260$( prob gonna rebuild just to be safe) 125$ for headers, 100$ fuel pump, 400 or so for injectors. So I am doing it pretty cheap. But I am pretty good at fabricating stuff.