Can't beat LT1

Matto

Apr 21, 2003
Arkansas
Well, as you can see I have a 1999 GT, Bassani X pipe, Flowmaster exhaust, 4.10 gears, steeda pullies, densecharger intake. My friend has a POS 1996 Firebird with the LT1, automatic. Now before, when I had my 97 GT with just an intake and flowmasters, we were neck and neck through 1st and 2nd, then he'd pull like mad in 3rd. Well tonight we went out and messed around. I figured I would of raped him, seeing as how his car has 130,000 miles and has been dogged out. Well, first time we take off and I'm in second at around 3500 RPM's and we hang neck to neck pretty much to about midway through third. We really didn't race to much after that. Everytime we'd mess around he'd always be right next to me. Am I missing some cylinders here or something? Shouldn't I be laying it on him pretty hard? The guy before me supposively had a 13.7 timeslip... so whats the problem here? Oh by the way, my car has 50,000 miles.

• Sponsors (?)

Do you have an Auto or 5 Speed? Manual I think you should be pretty close but if you have an auto I believe the Chevy Auto is better then ours.

On a side note: Didn't you know the LT1 was touched by the hand of god and the LS1 was improved by the hand of god. You can't beat it with a Ford lol

984.6gt said:
I doubt you are missing cylinders if you run even with a LT1, sounds to me like you just need to drive better.

I don't know how you could put a better driver in there. It wasn't a launch race, like I said we were rolling and I was midway through second... I shifted into third probably around 5700 RPMs and he was still screaming by my side. I just figured with the stuff I had done, plus his car being dogged out and high mileage, that I would put a whoopin on him. We're gonna race again tomorrow, so maybe we'll see how it turns out. BTW its 5 speed.

I am not sure about LT1s, but LS1s suck off the line LOL.My friends 02 SS with like all the SLP options was rolling at around 5 PMH or so in 1st and just nailed it, and it just took off...no rubber, no nothing, just took off actually kinda slowly untill he got some RPMs then it was gone...I am pretty sure that my 04 will get him from a low RPM roll in 1st because mine feels alot faster in that range...now top end he is alot faster.He had a 01 Z28 auto before that, and he could just punch it off the line and it would only spin a few feet.I even drove it, and powe braked it a little, then nailed it and it layed maybe 20-30 feet, not even sure if that much.But again after the take off it just flew.So I dont know how an LT1 would be much different if the LS1 is better...you should kill him off the line or if you race in 1st.Goodluck on the race.

I beat an auto LT1 that had 90K miles with my pacific Green GT before I totalled it. We raced 4 times to make shure, and I won every time. Now I dont see how you aren't pulling on him since you have PI heads and 4.10 gears. Maybe too much tire spin. I say if you can launch with as little tire spin as possible you will absolutely Rape him.

Matto said:
I don't know how you could put a better driver in there. It wasn't a launch race, like I said we were rolling and I was midway through second... I shifted into third probably around 5700 RPMs and he was still screaming by my side. I just figured with the stuff I had done, plus his car being dogged out and high mileage, that I would put a whoopin on him. We're gonna race again tomorrow, so maybe we'll see how it turns out. BTW its 5 speed.

try shifting at 5200-5400 rpms..since thats where our cars make power before it drops off

dsg_gt2004 said:
try shifting at 5200-5400 rpms..since thats where our cars make power before it drops off
???? Thats way too damn low man. Shift it right at redline or close to 6k to put you higher up in the rpm range in the next gear. Short shifting aint gonna win races. You have 4.10's and exhaust so im sure your car pulls pretty well up top now. SHIFT AT REDLINE

i just know that redlining isnt gonna help...it will slow u down...but maybe it will help him to redline

i went to 1/4 mile track and redlined and ran a crap time of 14.6 with my 1/8 being a 9.6

i went to a 1/8 mile track and shifted around 5300 and got a 9.1 ....

just tryin to say what helped me may help him...