Car is down for the count...

88stang88

5 Year Member
Apr 28, 2005
St. Louis,MO
The wife decided to take the mustang (had a cracked head gasket,was sitting until warmer weather) to work yesterday because her car was covered in ice and snow still...About 30 minutes after she left the house I get a phone call from a Illinois State Police Officer explaining that my car had caught on fire and was smoking inside and out and my wife was ok. 15 minutes later I get another phone call from the tow company explaining it was just a bad radiator hose. So I drop the kids off with the baby sitter and go to the Tow lot. $150 for a .8 mile tow and 3 hours of storage...what kind of crap is that? Then I pop the hood...hoses are still attached,no fire damage,car fires right up and I drove it out the gate and down the street a couple blocks to my brothers shop. Blown head gaskets are the culprit...Just picked up some Trick flow TW heads and Track Heat intake for $1500 guess they are going on sooner than spring

• Sponsors (?)

Oh man, that call from the Highway Patrol officer would have had me soiling my undies. The word FIRE paired with a Mustang is never a good thing. Sounds like it was just a good amount of steam from the head gasket, which the officer presumed was from fire. Glad to hear your Stang's OK.

I had a similar heart attack with my Cobra clone a while back. A coolant hose had slipped out from under the clamp, and popped off just as I was parking it. From my POV, it looked like a whole ton of smoke curling up around the edges of the hood. :eek: I shut the car down immediately, of course. The "smoke" stopped real quick after shutdown so I was wondering what was going on; then I noticed the stream of coolant running down the driveway. Basically, my car was pissing itself. :doh: Was such a relief knowing my car was not on fire.

$150 Bucks and maybe your wife will hesitate to use your mustang from now on?
That's a good deal.

Just kidding---sorry I could not help myself

No one is hurt and the car needed fixed anyway $150 Bucks is a rip off but just have a cold one
and let it go.