car isnt running like it should.

nightryder351

Founding Member
Apr 30, 2002
Tuscaloosa
i recently rebuilt my motor and added tfs tw heads and a e-cam.before i added these it ran in 1/8th mile 9.43 @ 75. well i took it back to the track and all i could get out of it was a 9.6 @ 75.i didnt have traction problems until i hit 2nd gear? :shrug: but i still expected to see a little more mph. i havent played with the timing r anything but a figured it would still run better than stock. do yall think timing could improve it a good bit its @ 10 degrees now i think i might bump it to 14-16. i dont really know much about tuning this is my first time ive built a motor. so any advice will be great. thatnks in adv.
Andrew

• Sponsors (?)

my car ran like **** with 10* timing. you should be running like 16-18* on 91 octane. also, your tq converter is hurting you, especially with the e303. the car doesnt make much power below 2000 (not to great with auto and stock stall) and starts picking up at about 3500. I find I get my best MPH's (and times) shifting at 6200, but I also have 1.7's which might help me slightly. Looks like you may need a little more gear, but definetely a tq converter. are you running stock tb, intake, maf, fuel system? if you are then you still have quite a few upgrades left. judging from your 1/8mi MPH, you were trapping about 95-96 MPH, with those heads with that shortlist of mods i would atleast expect about 99-100 or about 79mph in the 1/8th. just a guesstimate though...

everything else is stock i guess ill bump my timing and see how it feels. i was hoping to trap 79mph in the 1/8th i know it feels alot stronger even with stock timing. i know i need a converter but i just dont have the money.

Stock stall speed is about 1800.I have a PI 2800 stall speed with the stock cam.It could be a little tighter (2400) but with your cam, 2800 is perfect.I got 373's,a nice mod,but the converter was way better!!! IMO

intake, tb, mass air is all stock which would be the better of the two converter vs. intake? i personally think the converter should be done first cause the intake is just goin to make the power higher in the rpms.