Car shopping, with PICS!

TheSalad

Aug 3, 2003
Utah
All right, the saga continues! I was looking at a 86 SVO, for $3250, but then I remembered my friend is selling his 96GT, with a 2001 Cobra motor...

He ran into a puddle when it was cold, got water in the fan, and let the car sit..it froze, and the fan broke, so needs a new fan, and the drivers side seat track is broke from what he has told me. The interior will most likely need to be cleaned very well, or replaced, but that is cheap and easy.
My goal with this car, is to buy it, clean it up, make it look really nice, and not spend a lot, and resell it for more than what he is asking, cause he is trying to sell it in a hurry.

Motor is fine mechanically, low miles since swap.
"2001 Cobra Crate Engine.
TKO-600 Transmission

BBK O/R H
Magnaflow Exhuast

Needs Radiator Fan, and a Driver seat Bracket Fixed or Replaced"

View attachment 45370
View attachment 45371
The body is in pretty good shape from what I remember, Lazer Red, needs new headlights(have a pair sitting here), and needs a good wax and clean up.

He is asking $6000

If I decide to go this route, to I register it and insure it if I dont really plan to have it all that long?

What do you all think?

• Sponsors (?)

Well....how many miles on car....how many on eng?

Considering its a 96 with an 01 Cobra motor....I think you'll have a hard time flipping the car for a profit. I'd bet you'd be looking at a limited market for wanting to buy that car...would have to be a performance enthusiast. Depending on the miles and options, $6k is probably over blue book or right at it. You'll probably spend at least 500 bucks just in parts and supplies to clean it up real good and fix the broken things. You talking about a new interior...that's not that cheap.

Did your buddy do the swap? Do you have all the details abuot exactly what was swapped? I'd guess more than the engine had to be swapped to get an 01 engine to function in a 96 car. Either way....I'd guess you'd break even if you were lucky. Tell him you'll give him $4k for it, that's about all its worth unless its a real low mile car. Even in excellent condition it only blue books at 5k.

Guess that shows the market isn't always true to the blue book. If you think you could do it...go for it. But I am still a little doubtful that you could make much of a profit off of it. But then again...how much money would you need to make to make it worth your time and effort. Factor in the price of parts to fix what's broken, price of supplies to clean, cost of registration and insurance while you own it, and add on some money to pay yourself for labor. Now look at how much more you need to make just for profit. I'd want at least $1k or it wouldn't be worth it. So you'd probably have to sell it for at least $8k. Based on what you sold your car for....maybe you can. I'd rather buy a 96 GT with a 96GT motor in it if I wanted a reliable and trustworthy car....but this is just one guys opinion.

But it all depends on why you're doing it, for the fun of fixing it up a little or selling it, or to make a business out of it. Business-wise, there are probably better deals and cars to be spending your time on.

deftsound said:
judging from how dirty the car looks from the outside and the motor, not to mention what you said about the interior, it doesnt look like it was taken care of very well, just my .02
I agree he probably didn't treat it decent at all. I think if he has a
01 Cobra and transmission with mods he should get alot more for it
than 6K.Something is fishy about that car for some reason.
You should just find a nice Cobra that is in great shape! :nice:
www.ebaymotors.com
www.autotrader.com

It is laser red, I have see nthe car and riden in it before. The picture was "enhanced" cause it was almost pitch black before..no worries on the color.

I am going to look at a 86 SVO and also an 89 GT today..should be fun!