Changing oil pump

mytight95

Apr 11, 2003
Dothan,Al
Well, say if you pull the motor from the car, where do most people bolt the hoist to? With a carb car i have seen people pull the motor from where the carb bolts down...seems like it would be weak with the aluminum, but i don't know. I am gonna swap out the oil pump, pickup etc.... it there something that says you can't have it upside down with the oil&water drained, in other words would it hurt it to do so...?

i am gonna just throw another pump in my car for now i believe, that way i can still enjoy the car a little while i work on the other motor, if i do it now, i am gonna have to change some of the stuff i want to do to the new motor because of christmas and budget constraints.....lol

so, if there are some no-no's or tips and tricks do me a favor and help me out...

thanks

jason

• Sponsors (?)

The aluminum should hold just fine, but there's always the header bolts, if using the intake worries you too much. I put 2 tow straps around my friend 4.6, and looped a chain around them, and lifted from the chain. They were the ratcheting kind, so I pulled them very tight, and they weren't a problem. We just didn't happen to have any chains long enough to pull the engine out, so I resorted to what I had available. You shouldn't have any issues turning the engine upside down as long as the fluids are drained out. You'll probably have a few drips here and there from residual fluids, but nothing too considerable.