Cheap/Easy way to connect an Ipod ...

BigGuido97GT

Aug 7, 2006
Hey Guys,

New member, first post. Like it says in the subject, I'm looking for a cheap and relatively easy way (I'm not an electrician or a wrench) to connect an Ipod like device (actually a sony MP3 Discman) to my Mustang's stereo.

It's one of those two part factory systems, where the head unit is on top in the center column, and the CD player sits below. The CD player has been going for some time, and isn't capable of playing data CD's, anyway.

Logic tells me there must be somewhere in the back of the head unit where I can stick the three wires from the end of a standard headphone jack to jury rig the setup. I'm looking for someone to point me to a diagram or directions as to where to put what.

Of course, I'm sure that there are any number of packaged conversion kits to do this, but running a V8 with gas at $3.10 a gallon has left me a bit tapped, a feeling I'm sure is not uncommon to those in this group.

Any ideas?
BigGuido
97GT, black/grey int, automatic, no mods

• Sponsors (?)

You could get an FM transmitter ... it plugs into the Ipod and transmits the signal to a preset on your FM radio. If you google Ipod FM transmitter you will see what I'm talkin' about.

i have a knock off one that works really well. no noticable quality loss but then again i havent used it in the car. but it worked from my kitchen to my living room and thats probably 40 feet.
i like it. ebay ftw.

you will need a RF adapter as i doubt your 97 stock radio has anywhere to input a mp3 player. i bought one of those RF things from best buy for 99 dollars and it works fairly well. No interference or static and if you adjust the sound on the mp3 player it sounds good. In my mustang i just hook it directly to the Alpine.

An expensive option is a PIE adapter. It plugs into the radio's harness and creates an AUX input channel with two RCA jacks as the input. Then you simply get an RCE to 3.5mm headphone jack adapter.

I run a PIE adapter for my Satellite radio unit. Sounds awesome and CD quality music.

Downside is it was $100 for the adapter and $10 for an RCA to 2.5mm jack adapter.

i heard someone talking about a Y splicer for the antenna input, that when the ipod or whatever device isnt hooked up, the deck picks up the radio stations like normal, but when the device is plugged in it interrupts the signal from the antenna and you hear the device on all stations and is crystal clear(cd quality).

im just asking because i have yet to find this device.

When I had an ipod mini in my SN95 I used the FM Transmitter.. no problems at all. In the 03 I have an Alpine Head unit (last years modeL) so I had to buy the Alpine Ipod Interface adapter, so it connects and charges the ipod and lets me chose songs on the headunit itself. That's the thing I hated about the FM Transmitter, had to search through the ipod.

Anybody used a tape cassette adapter?

You know, the kind that look like a cassette tape with a cable coming out one side which plugs into an audio source. Someone I know said they might have on laying around.

I ask because I've seen a few posts in other groups mention them. The ideas I've seen in this group, although welcome, are either more difficult or expensive than I can probably handle at this point.

Either way, thanks for the advice.
BigGuido97GT

BigGuido97GT said:
You know, the kind that look like a cassette tape with a cable coming out one side which plugs into an audio source. Someone I know said they might have on laying around.

I ask because I've seen a few posts in other groups mention them. The ideas I've seen in this group, although welcome, are either more difficult or expensive than I can probably handle at this point.

Either way, thanks for the advice.
BigGuido97GT

the tape deck adapters do not work with the ipod. Your best bet is an FM transmitter or doing the wiring mods that were described above.

csledd said:
When I had an ipod mini in my SN95 I used the FM Transmitter.. no problems at all. In the 03 I have an Alpine Head unit (last years modeL) so I had to buy the Alpine Ipod Interface adapter, so it connects and charges the ipod and lets me chose songs on the headunit itself. That's the thing I hated about the FM Transmitter, had to search through the ipod.

Does that only work with Alpine head units? Do they make interfaces for different brands of head units? I have a JVC in my truck and an Alpine in my Mustang and I'd like to get one for both. I hate having to look at the damn scroll wheel while driving and playlists get old ... Where'd you get the Alpine interface adapter?

DTNODYA said:
Does that only work with Alpine head units? Do they make interfaces for different brands of head units? I have a JVC in my truck and an Alpine in my Mustang and I'd like to get one for both. I hate having to look at the damn scroll wheel while driving and playlists get old ... Where'd you get the Alpine interface adapter?
go on crutchfield.com i think remember seeing a universal module.

DTNODYA said:
You could get an FM transmitter ... it plugs into the Ipod and transmits the signal to a preset on your FM radio. If you google Ipod FM transmitter you will see what I'm talkin' about.

I had one and they work great...

stangGT97 said:
the tape deck adapters do not work with the ipod. Your best bet is an FM transmitter or doing the wiring mods that were described above.

Well, iPods must suck to own :/

I have used a tape adapter with an MP3 player in my old 99 Mustang many times. Works fine. You sometimes have to flip the tape to get it to sound right, and the Sony brand adapters make a lot of mechanical noise.

And the winner is ...

The Sony Walkman Car Connecting Kit, model DCC-E34CP, $30 at Best Buys.

I said it before, I'll say it again: The Sony Corporation doesn't owe me a friggin dime! I have never bought a thing from Sony which did not fully live up to my expectations.

The basic kit, $18 (sorry, don't have the model number) contains a walkman to cassette tape adapter, which is basically a cassette tape shell with a headphone jack coming out of one side, reconfigurable to the other end or even the back if your tape deck requires it. Slap in the tape, plug in the walkman, and you're there, slicker than snot.

For $12 more, they throw in a cigarette lighter power adapter for your player, which makes the whole thing work battery free. The damn thing even has six power settings and two different adapter plugs, should you have a non-Sony player or want to use it with a different device. It even charges my cell phone!

The sound is excellent, as good as any hard wired system, which surprised me given the somewhat kludgey seeming setup. I have no problem with noise, mechanical or otherwise.

Of course, you will have to deal with some extra wires coming out of your center column, you'll still have to figure out where to keep the player and you won't be able to control it from your radio or steering wheel, but bang for the buck, it's a great solution.

BTW, also tried the Radio Shack cassette adapter, $20 without the power supply. Don't bother. The sound was OK, but something in the adapter kept triggering my tape deck's auto-reverse, which was annoying, to say the least.

Thanks to everybody who replied,
BigGuido
97GT, black/grey, automatic, no mods

Pioneer iPod controller here. Digital quaility right into the unit. Only way to go imo. Stick the iPod in the glove box, navigate it through the touchscreen. Get's compliments every time. :nice:

I have the Griffin iTrip and it's total garbage. Static on every channel, and crappy sound quality. I'm thinking about flying to NJ and steal Ambo's touch screen thingy :).

While I'm there, I'll steal his other louver :lol: