Check for Exhaust Leak

MT1083

Sep 16, 2003
Charlotte, NC
Is there any way to do this besides listening by ear? I guess I could shove a piece of paper or something flimsy up there to see if there are any gases coming out, but I would prefer to have my hands burn free. I have a slow response on my bank 2 sensor 1 02 sensor and I think the problem has to be an exhaust leak. I had this problem before I installed the s/c so I replaced the 02's thinking they were bad. I drove around for a few days and my CEL never came on so I assumed the problem was fixed. But when I was driving around tonight the CEL came on and when I checked my code it was the slow response thing. Soooo...can anyone give me a suggestion on how to check for a leak? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

I'm guessing that you are worried about the header to mid-pipe area. I was able to put my car up on jack stands pretty high, and then fire the engine up. I just used my bare hands to feel around the header/mid-pipe connections before they got too hot and felt the air escaping. When the car is cold and at idle, the exhaust temps aren't bad at all.

Maybe someone will have a better idea - buts thats what every told me when I had a leak. :shrug: