Cleaning Stock Rims

mannymendez25

Feb 12, 2015
I did my first partial detail on my 92 convertible. While cleaning the rims, I noticed they looked stained as what I thought was dirt, was not coming off. What is the best way to get these rims looking better other than painting them?

Attachments

• 20150307_170550.jpg
    20150307_170550.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 203
  • Sponsors (?)

I'd be very careful and make sure you use something specifically designed for wheels.

I can't be 100% sure, but..

I always used Mothers or Meguiars wheel cleaners on my pony wheels and thought both brands did a pretty good job--some scrubbing required, but overall satisfactory.

Then I ran out of wheel cleaner and figured just used a degreaser. It seemed to work better than the wheel cleaner ever did. I sprayed it on the tires as well and it got all the old tire wet to come off as well.

However, I noticed after a few times that it looked like the paint was starting to fade badly on the center caps. I haven't done anything different so I'm almost positive it's due to my choice of harsh cleaner.

Not all wheel cleaners are the same either. They have different ph levels for different finishes. I'd stick to a product designed for the finish of the wheel you have.

Let us know what you think of the Adams...always good to find a good product.

The Adams stuff is incredible I do wish thetrigger sent out a bit thicker foam, but they may have addressed that with the new bottles/triggers they now have. Wait till you see how much stuff comes off. Take a before, during, and after pic

No, therefore read the instructions to make sure it is compatible with your wheels. (If you have steel, chrome, paint or plastic it still kicks crud off more quickly than anything else.)