clutch diameter for an 87 w/ TKO

87coupe50

Feb 10, 2008
WAYNESBORO, PA
I'm looking for a clutch. Done some searches and most say that the clutch is 10.5. Most places I've looked at show a 10.4 or 10.5. Is there any physical difference or are they one in the same? Bought the car with the Tremec already in there but I'm pretty sure it's a 26 spline. I was looking at this one but I don't want to waste money one the wrong one.

• Sponsors (?)

u need to make sure u have the tko tranny but that is the right one if u have a tko.
u can get the car up and pull the drive shaft out and look at the drive shaft yoke if it has a 31 spline out then u have a tko. a stock one is 28 spline. i had a tko in my car years ago before they sold a kit. i had to buy a clutch for a chevy disc and use a fords pressure plate

It's a TKO 500. I just can't find any info on what size clutch to get for it. I've was told 10.5 and to get a Centerforce D/F 26 Spline, but all the listings show those clutches as being 10.4. Just trying to confirm that is the one I need.

if i were u id just pull the tranny out and make sure,
i have tremec tko also i went and bought the 21 spline because
it was the most common one they sold and my tranny was on there list
well when i get to the input shaft i had a 10 spline, so just because
save ur self the time and just make sure your gettin the right part

I think the spline count is the more important thing to worry about

.1" is 2.5mm. Divide that by two and that's 1.25mm difference on the edge. That's like _ big

tranny

they have like 3 tremec
1) m-7003-r58w it has a 10 spline inlet and a 31 outlet it has a 0.68 5th gear
2) m-7003-r58c it has a 26 spline inlet and a 31 outlet, it has a 0.82 5th gear
3) m-7003-r58h it has a 26 spline inlet and a 31 outlet, it has a 0.68 5th gear

when i got mine they only had 2 types so doing the drive shaft would not work for u

Yea, just looked it up on summit looks like a dual friciton. I am using a ram powergrip HD right now and so far so good. Its good for 650 ft/lbs. The plain powergrip is good for 500 ft/lbs I believe. Also have the ram billet steel flywheel. Pedal is about the same as the centerforce a little bit on off like and rarely chatters.

Yea put a 26 spline input shaft in it. 10 spline ones have been known to break with lower power levels then you. Esp if your planning on launching the car. Think I paid $250 or so for mine including the shims. Ordered it from hanlon motorsports nice place to deal with.

you can just change the input shaft? I'll have to look into that... how hard of a task is it?

Car has been launched plenty of times, best is a 1.502 60 Ft. with 8.5 in slicks. That was with the A-trim. Been to the track twice since installing the SQ trim, could only muster 1.58. Car has had several issues over the last couple months. I think I've just about got them licked, just have to figure out a couple of noises.

Yea you can just change out the input shaft, its pretty easy friend of mine and I did it in about an hour taking our time. Just letting you know, it could last 5 years or it could last one more pass. 10 spline input shafts arent rated for much.