clutch help fast

atrainsgt

Sep 26, 2008
Hey guys I just got my tr3650 done with the new clutch and my clutch pedal has a lot of slack, 2-3inches worth. The self adjuster is all the way out, is there anything else I can do? The pedal is loose until its about 3 inches away from the floor board so I don't think I'm able to press it enough to even disengage the clutch. Thanks guys

• Sponsors (?)

Update

I pulled the trans back out and I only found one problem, my pilot bearing was completely obliterated. I installed a new pilot bearing and put everything back together. Everything is fine now except for I'm still having clutch problems. I can put the car in neutral while going down the road and the RPM's will rise and fall, same thing with the clutch depressed, any Ideas? Oh, and my clutch smelt like it was burning. My adjustable quadrant wont be here until sometime this week. Thanks guys

Well first things first, is everything installed correctly? If so you need to adjust the clutch, try pressing clutch to the floor and sidestepping while in neutral, it might adjust. If not you need to get quadrant and firewall adjuster.

Yes, everything is installed correctly. The clutch is engaging pretty much right off the floor so that tells me something is not adjusted correctly, I just can't believe that ford made it so that you can't adjust the clutch. I guess my only option is the quadrant and firewall adjuster, hopefully it will arrive quickly.

Might sound stupid try pulling on cable at firewall than push clutch pedal than let your foot slide of pedal so clutch can snap back try acouple of times if pedal feels to hard pull up hard on clutch pedal.this is in the fine print

The harmonic balancer looks alright. I can be stopped, depress the clutch pedal, in neutral, and rev the engine and I can feel the whole car vibrate. That would rule out the transmission itself right? Could the clutch be causing this problem? Motor mounts? Its just odd because I did not have this problem before the swap. Its bad enough that I won't hardly drive the car right now. I drove it a few miles to the car wash but I wouldn't drive it any further than that. Oh, and I found out why the RPM's were rising and falling; one of the vacuum hoses had broke, so that is now fixed. Keep the ideas coming guys, I really do appreciate it.

Ok the first thing you need to do is pull up on the clutch pedal and let the auto adjuster try to take up the slack.

This is most likely not the cause of your vibration problem but that might fix your slack issue, if not then you could have a problem with the clutch fork being bent

Are you sure the vibration is not a misfire? Once you get the slack issue fixed you need to see if it is firing on all 8

Last thing how did you install the clutch to the flywheel..

Did you torque in sequence bringing down each bolt a little at a time then moving on to the next until bottomed out and then final torqued to bring the pressure plate down even?

If not you could have a damaged pressure plate

I lifted the pedal and let the self adjuster do its job and its maxed out, that doesn't concern me, its this vibration. I always torque down everything a little at a time and do it evenly in a star pattern(its not my first clutch install). The engine is running smooth, its certainly not a misfire. Could it be that the clutch assembly is not balanced? I think I'm going to order a Fidanza aluminum flywheel and reinstall that everything else with my old clutch assembly. Any more thoughts are appreciated!

I lifted the pedal and let the self adjuster do its job and its maxed out, that doesn't concern me, its this vibration. I always torque down everything a little at a time and do it evenly in a star pattern(its not my first clutch install). The engine is running smooth, its certainly not a misfire. Could it be that the clutch assembly is not balanced? I think I'm going to order a Fidanza aluminum flywheel and reinstall that everything else with my old clutch assembly. Any more thoughts are appreciated!

yeah it could be a misbalance.. also try a different quadrant for the clutch adjustment or better yet a aftermarket one.

BTW what clutch are you using?

Its a McLeod Super StreetPro Clutch. I found a deal on the Fidanza aluminum flywheels for $270 shipped so I will order that tomorrow. I guess its just one of those things, I always hope for these projects to go smoothly but I that just doesn't always happen.

Its a McLeod Super StreetPro Clutch. I found a deal on the Fidanza aluminum flywheels for $270 shipped so I will order that tomorrow. I guess its just one of those things, I always hope for these projects to go smoothly but I that just doesn't always happen.

Keep us posted, I wish I was there to see the problem first hand, I probably could be more of a help..

If you are absolutely sure the vibration isn't motor related(misfire, harmonic balancer) I would think the problem is in your clutch/flywheel. however, you never mentioned this vibration problem in your first few posts. Did it happen after the initial install or later?